News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

safety lights

Started by caninecaravan, August 30, 2005, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caninecaravan

I have a number of lights on my 78 which are not working. When I go and remove the red or yellow covers, I find that the parts that are attached to the motor home have gotten brittle and break. Is there a replacement light for the factory ones and where do you get them?
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Rodney

hi
I see there are clearance lights in the merchandise section of the site.
both amber and red. but I can't find the link on the site? can anyone show us where this link is? I printed the list out last year and see the lights are avaliable.
Rodney

Andy Illes

Well... HUH!!!   I can't find where the order blank is now either Rodney.  

The clearance lights (what they're called) are pretty standard.  Most any auto parts store has 'em... so does Walmart and certainly any RV or truck place.  You could also order from www.All-Rite.com... that's where Mel, our quatermaster, gets most of his stuff for us wholesale... or JCWhitney.com.   Keep in mind that our Clips are fiberglass, so you have to wire both a hot and ground to each light.... don't let the leads slip back in when you snip 'em to replace the lights.  Smear a little silicone sealer on each one too.

You didn't say if yours were ALL working.. or just a few.... if not all, check the ground connection at the frame, by the back bumper.  They run off a  separate fuse behind the instrument cluster... it's a little can on sort of a "stalk" on onna the ammeter terminals.  Be SURE you disconnect the battery before you pull the cluster.... unless you wanna be called "Sparky"...  :lol:

Good luck...
Andy

caninecaravan

I have some of the covers. What has happenened is the part attached to the coach which holds the light on is breaking apart because the plastic is so old. Is there a replacement for the whole light assembly or am I missing something. My covers wont stay on because of this.  78 21' rear

Andy Illes

Yeah, lotta mine were the same way.... they do get a tad crunchy over the years.   Those things come complete... ready to wire, screw on.... replace the whole things.   Cheap, few bucks each.

Just found an amber one Mel sent me I haven't used yet.... the brand is "Truck-Lite", PN 26309Y... "Round Rubber Mt M/C"

Hope that helps.... Andy

terry and karen conkle

Andy Illes

bigray

If you have a Auto Zone near you they have replacement lights.  The new ones have only one wire so it required a bit on modification but works great. Namely using a short piece of wire to connect to the ground!

Good Luck!

Shayne

Quote from: "Rodney"I can't find the link on the site? can anyone show us where this link is?

Here ya go...

http://www.americanclipperownersclub.com/forms/index.htm

It's under FORMS on the menu ;)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

junebob

What's all the " to do " about  Clipper clearance lights, and other known Clipper parts. The truck light units are on your parts available from the club store list that comes out new with every news letter. They are the oldest and still the best replacements for the "Faulty'(Opinion) origonal units. Sure you can try to go around our supply officer MEL, and try to save a few pennies. LETS GET REAL HERE and come to realize that service and dependebilty have a cost' and recquire your support.. The continueation of the American Clipper Club is directly relient on your support and cooperation.The current trend, as I see it, to make this a good old boy's bullshit session is not in keeping with the prolonging of  our time honored goal to proudly keep these outstanding vehicles on the road and enjoy the oppurtunity to do so.  While I appreciate the enthuisiasm and the fervur of the  "new " members , I would point out the effectiveness  and advisability of recognizing and implementing  the time honored effectivness  and class as devloped by  Dr.Bob  And Mrs Cornwell. as well as by other such noteworthy pioneer members, is still the Glue that ties this organization together. Respectfully submitted for your  thought Bob & June Chaney # 2626.

bigray

I've said it before and I'll say it again....... when I want something I want it then. If nothing else, I'd like some assurance as to when I can expect to receive my order. I've order from the club and gotten my order right away so no complaints from me. However, in most cases, I like to see what I buy.

I have no ploblems ordering from the club. I don't care if the price is more. I've benefited from the forum temedously and will support it any way I can.  For me it's more about convenience and timing. Heck I don't care if the membership dues are $100 or more to make things a bit more automated and modern.

As for your comments JuneBob.......why don't you draft some forum rules and forward them to the webmaster. Perhaps the club officer can vote to adopt the rules. It seems you have really taken issue with "off subject topics" and other matters lately.

caninecaravan

My original question had only to do with which were the replacement lights. I am sorry if this led to a discussion as to where to buy them. I have just ordered $100 worth of parts from the club order sheet to fix my clipper. I wish everything that was needed was available. It is the only way to be sure that you are getting the "original" parts to fix it. I look forward to the rally in Lodi so that I can get more questions answered on how to return the caninecaravan to its original shape. Isn't that the purpose of having a "classic" otherwise I could have bought a Winabego.  ACOC 3552. 78 side kitchen

Andy Illes

Canine... my apologies.  I wasn't trying to steer you away from buying your lights through the Club....  I had assumed you had already tried Mel and he was out or something.  I buy whatever I can through the Club as well.

Horst

I wasn't going to comment on JuneBob's post - because quite frankly I thought he was kidding......at first........and then I realized he wasn't.

In my humble opionion JuneBob - you are WAY off the mark here.
If you are offended by the way the board is running - then organize the ACOC to adopt rules or whatever, and ban those of us "new members" who are engaging in a "good old boys bullshit session" - which by the way is a pretty poor selection of words to describe the contributions many of  the "new"  members have made in the past year or so.

I follow many boards on the Net - from programming, to surfing, to other motorhome sites, judo sites, etc. This board is right on track with respect to content and style, and the content has improved tremendously over the years.
Is there some joking, ribbing, etc from time to time? Yes, but so what -  that comes with the territory - it is the nature of the net in case you have not noticed.

JuneBob states:
"While I appreciate the enthuisiasm and the fervur of the "new " members , I would point out the effectiveness and advisability of recognizing and implementing the time honored effectivness and class as devloped by Dr.Bob And Mrs Cornwell. as well as by other such noteworthy pioneer members, is still the Glue that ties this organization together"

I think I know  what you are trying to say here  - but again I feel you are off the mark somewhat - this is 2005, not 1985. The ACOC is evolving, the demographics of the Club will continue to change, and our web site will play the critical role in the continuation and survival of the Club.

And as far as I'm concerned, I think the web site is fine as it is, given that no one is getting paid a penny to manage it, etc.
You are not the Emperor of this site - if the content offends you then don't read it, or organize others who feel as you do and do something about it. Those of us who like it the way it is will set up our own site if we have to - I have tons of server space and bandwith should this become an issue.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Ruben

I'm in total agreement with you Horst.

Ruben