News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

smoked some wires, wiring diagram needed.

Started by kickbackjack, August 09, 2005, 08:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickbackjack

I have a 79 dodge 440 24' w/dual batteries. a lot of wires in the engine comp. fried, some broke where i cant trace them. i'm not sure of the origination of the problem but wires to the batt. isolater (12ga-8ga), wiper motor, diag. connect plug, and other things mounted around the center of the firewall also got smoked. I would like to have running for my wifes parents so they can get back in the wind soon.
I need a wiring diagram for under hood/ cowling only, not motorhome section. also any tips/tricks to expedite and prevent from happening again.  Jim

Rodney

hi   Jim
are the dual batteries both under the hood or is one the coach battery?
if the wiring that is fried for the batteries they may not be in a diagram for the van body if install non OEM.
Wires fry like that because of a dead short as I am sure you know.
circuit breakers and fuses are your best defense for further melt downs.
Pay close attention to wires rubbing sharp edges and if they are going through firewalls and panels they need gourmet to protect from cutting.
use wire ties to hold wires away from danger areas and hot spots. Wiring should be checked from time to time and fix any questionable or potential problems. I know this is a generic answer but wiring can be a very broad area to repair and hard to trouble shoot with out being there hands on .
when working on the project disconnect the batteries and cover the tops of them or remove them from the rig to avoid any accidental shorting of the posts. I once shorted a HOT battery + post to a wrench in my hand and fried my wedding ring to my finger { yep I am left handed} cost me a ring and talk about HURT boy did that burn.. I thought I got bit by a snake.:>{
good luck

Rodney

hi   Jim
are the dual batteries both under the hood or is one the coach battery?
if the wiring that is fried for the batteries they may not be in a diagram for the van body if install non OEM.
Wires fry like that because of a dead short as I am sure you know.
circuit breakers and fuses are your best defense for further melt downs.
Pay close attention to wires rubbing sharp edges and if they are going through firewalls and panels they need gourmet to protect from cutting.
use wire ties to hold wires away from danger areas and hot spots. Wiring should be checked from time to time and fix any questionable or potential problems. I know this is a generic answer but wiring can be a very broad area to repair and hard to trouble shoot with out being there hands on .
when working on the project disconnect the batteries and cover the tops of them or remove them from the rig to avoid any accidental shorting of the posts. I once shorted a HOT battery + post to a wrench in my hand and fried my wedding ring to my finger { yep I am left handed} cost me a ring and talk about HURT boy did that burn.. I thought I got bit by a snake.:>{
good luck