News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Gear Oil For Differential

Started by Roy Jensen, May 17, 2005, 09:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Jensen

I just checked the oil in my Clippers differential and found the fluid to be a red color with the consistincy of gear oil.  Does this mean they use like GL6 or some kind of weired  lubricant or should I be using standard 90wt gear oil?

jwreding

Since yours is a Chevy I assume you have a Dana 70 or 80 rear, and if it doesn't have a limited slip then it should take regular gear oil.

Rodney

Hi Roy,
I would guess that what is in your rear axel could be a synthic or blend grear oil. I recently changed the rear axel and my clipper and used Red Line {brand name} gear oil. this was a 90 wt blend oil which is red in color. I like to use synthic oils as much as possibe and if I feel rich that day as they are more expensive that 90 WT.
bfn
Rodney

Roy Jensen

All,
   Thanks for the tips.  I don't think I have a posi type rear end so my hunch is that it is synthetic oil.