News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Storage & Stuff

Started by Kip Woodring, June 06, 2002, 03:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Woodring

I'm a new owner of a 1980 (1978 Chevy) 821SK

1) Has anyone come up with a clever plan to access the inaccessible corner space between the stove and the sink on side kitchen models? I've thought about adding an access door in the seat back of the dinette... or cuttin the counter top out so that you can go down through the top to get at it, but I'm not real sure either of those is the ultimate solution. Perhaps just getting rid of the lower three drawers in favor of a door would be best? Any feedback from others who have managed to make good use of this wasted space, would be appreciated.
2) The rear area underneath the coach has some kind of cheap, thick "cardboard-ish" horizontal covering, that is threatening to fall out on the road! It is warped, rotten, sagging and needs to be re-thought and replaced. From a cursory reading of older newsletters (I got with the coach), I seem to remember someone suggesting that fiberglassing an aluminum panel in there is the solution. Is this the ONLY way to effect a proper, permanent repair? Does marine or exterior grade plywood, glued in with waterproof glue, and screwed in with stainless screws, make sense?
3) The retractable step is coming loose where it bolts to the coach. (Apparently, not for the first time.) The current "patch" job is pretty lousy. Can anyone tell me the proper way to repair and REINFORCE this set up? Seems to me that some large diameter "fender" washers would spread the load on the 4 bolts holding step... but I'm open to suggestions.
4) We are planning to "full time" in the Clipper in the near future. Is anyone else out there doing this in an American Clipper? If so, what tips might you be willing to share on how to manage it? What mods might the Clipper need for short, 3-4 day periods of boondoogling/dry camping? What are it's strengths and weaknesses for full-timing with two people? (For instance, does it make sense to remove the generator, in favor of solar panels and some badly needed extra storage?)
I'd sure appreciate hearing from those who know... on ALL these issues and more. THANKS!

P.S. -Didn't American Clipper's come with owner's manuals? I've seen materials like this posted (downloadable) on the website for SOB (some other brands) RV clubs. Why not for Clippers? (I also looked at the spare parts available to members, but didn't see a manual listed.) Are reprints available for those who haven't got one? Would anyone who has one be willing to loan/rent it for copying? HELP?

egibbons

I can provide "personal experience answers for 2 & 3.

The rear section under the coach is a bad design. Marine plywood would be a great solution, but would be difficult on my coach because of the fram rails/trailer hitch.  After half of mine fell out on a trip, I tore out the other half, and replaced it with pieces of masonite stabilized with 1 x 2" furring strips. I don't remember what I screwed the furring strips to, but there was something there. I filled in above the masonite with some expanding foam from a can for insulation and stability and sprayed the exposed masonite surface with undercoating to seal and protect it.

The rear step on our unit was loose, and I detected some rot. The only thing to do was to completely remove the step and trim and rebuild it with new plywood, secure bolts and fender washers. It's one of those "just get started on it" jobs. You'll figure out what to do and what to reinforce when you get it apart. When reassembling, I chose to use that black rubberish ribbed mat material you can get at an auto parts store for lining the insides of the step area. Again I used undercoating to seal the seams and bolts underneath once it was put back together.

Good luck,
Eric #3021

Mark Smith

Regarding the space between the side kitchen sink and the oven. I considered the things you mention, and decided to add a door under the kitchen window and on the outside for access to that area. The door is about 12" x  20"  (guessing) giving easy access to, and is in a perfect place to store some tools, hoses, knee pads, TV cable, wire cables, fittings and anything else that is used with the hook-ups. I framed up the area with ply wood. I am very pleased with the results.  You can get a door made at an RV supply place in Holister, CA. It is listed under 'LINKS' in this web site.

I have always thought that they did not provide enough out side storage space in the design of the Clipper.  My Clipper does not have a generator.  I have installed two deep sliding drawers, hung from the top of the Gen. compartment, and store everything else under them.
Mark  ACOC #1077

Richard Peterson

Question 2:  I tore out the rotted masonite and replaced it with galvanized sheet metal obtained at no cost from a heating/ac repairman.  When cut to the right size, you can slide it in from the side (underneath) and secure with sheet metal screws into the edges.  I then covered it with roofing tar to close up any openings.  It didn't look like insulation would have much effect but that is always an option.
Richard Peterson

junebob

Kippur 48-    Unfortunaately there never was a Clipper manual persay.The nearest thing any of us have, [to my knowedge], are copies of sales brochures and floor plans. Our club founder Dr. Bob & Rhea  Cornwell, I think would be the final authority on this.Many of the members have Installation info and publications on all or most of the coach components.Examples-Furnace,generator ,air conditoning ,water heater,control panel etc.But thats about as good as it gets. Happy Clippering .Bob & June Chaney #2626

EKS

Solar Panels
THe Clipper we just got has a solar panel and two Golf Cart Batteries. The previous owner said he could go for 5 days plus and that is with his son running a video game on 110 through the inverter. Previously he could only get 1 1/2 days for the same trip to mexico. How much sun there would be where you go is a factor. We have not really tested it for our 2 person camping yet. That also means no microwave or hair dryers unless you get a small generator to support them. Most inverters won't handle the wattage and they really use the electricity.