News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

oil capacity again

Started by mikeyo, March 01, 2005, 03:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyo

hey i have a 440 and i put in 4 quarts, and my dipstick reads overfull. now either i have the wrong dipstick or there's something different about my engine. could i be alright with 4 quarts? i realize this is important. also, i still don't know how big a socket i'll need to get the big nut off to do the front brakes. thanks

Rodney

I will measure the dip stick on my engine and let you know the length.
I just changed the oil in my 79 440 home and used close to 6 quarts if I remember. I will check on that for you as well. you bet it is important to get the engine filled properly on any engine. to little oil and of coures it will starve for oil and to much and the oil will be into the crankshaft and rods and among other things cause the oil to foam from beating it to death, engine oil leaks from to much pressure in the crank case. and poor fuel mileage from the extra drag on the crankshaft. the oil pan is larger than on any of my 440 car engines I have other than my race car which was a 10 quart Moroso.
I did install a larger oil pan to the transmission for 2 quarts more fluid, this is a good thing to do for more cooling ect. and and easy one when you change the fluid. and the new pan has a drain plug which makes it a lot nicer to change in the future. if you do this either don't get a chrome one or if it is chrome rough the gasket surface up real well {I used a 40 grit grinder wheel} or it will leak and you will be a cussin'
BFN R

Rodney

the dip stick on my 440 is 33 inches long measuring to the tip from the nub or stop, not to the end of the handle. my tube goes in to the pan and screw in the pan. and my pan is 6 inches deep frrom the flange of the pan to the lowest point. the reason I am saying all this it that we are refuring to the same configurations as best we can. my engne pan holds 5 qts and the small oil filter hold bout a 1/2 qt.
hope that help, R

mikeyo

hey thanks a million!