News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Replace rear step

Started by bigray, February 27, 2005, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had replaced the rear step on their Clipper. Mine is a real PITA so I wanted to change it out!

Let me know!

aliendude

I took mine off.....   Nice how there are two bolts with heads sandwiched between the steel support and the floor wood.    Had to cut them off with a dremel tool cutting disk.  

Have not replaced it yet.    

My clippers rear frame is bent down ( from the add on box addition and the guy towing a boat ) so it sags and the step is not that big of a drop....

It's getto.....    Maybe someday I'll get the money to fix it....
I thought about shimming wedges between the rear floor and the frame....but it's buried under insulation....have looked at it and it seems
like a major job....

I thought about putting a 2in lift kit on the rear axle....but I don't
know.   It's $80 for a kit.    My rear spring bushings are rotted too....
still there, but rotted.   Thought about putting red poly bushings....

But you know,  I was scrounging parts off a Winebago in a wrecking yard,
and its bathroom ( Geeez a TUB ! )  was so much bigger...
Maybe I should sell my clipper and start to save for a bigger Ghetto Class A.  I don't know.  

I caught some people looking at it the other day.... and before I could
amble over to strike up a conversation they left.    "you know something like -- brand new motor, carb, ready to go, 4 new tires, everything works ( no heater or A/C.  new wiring, TV,  Yours for the low low $4000 )

aliendude

Milk Crates do not work.   :(

Rodney

I have among other things just removed the rear door and this gave me some real good access to the rotted out wood that supports the step so I will be repaiting all of that soon and will have some pictues of the repair. my step is alright other than kind of hard to pull out at times but the mounting is all but gone this should make it work as good as new   I hope.
I removed the door to get a new used fridge in the home. the door was in need if reseal and new screws and a good cleaning I was glad to see no other got other than the step boards.
I do usually take a step tool box thing that just fits under the step and that way I am not constantly working the step and mounting area..  
might not need that after I rebuild the floor area.
bfnR