News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Transmission temperature gauge

Started by mollerus, April 05, 2002, 03:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollerus

I'm interested in installing a transmission temperature gauge on my 1977 Clipper as I plan  to  occasionally tow a boat trailer.  I understand that it's the overheating of the transmission fluid under a heavy load that degrades the transmission fluid which leads to transmission failure.  Can any of you who have installed one of these gauges tell me where the sensor is attached (inserted) in the transmission case?

HPotter

In our '77, there is already a temperature sensor that sticks down thru a hole in the top of the transmission at the right rear  corner. This has a rubber plug with a couple of wires going to it. This can be pulled out like a cork from a bottle. It is connected to a warning panel just below the radio in the dash that comes on if the transmission overheats. Apparently this also serves as the dipstick on this model. You might want to check and see if yours has this feature.

Harold Poter, #886

mollerus

Thanks for the reply Harold. I was under the impression that the dip stick that you describe (and is on my Clipper)is a low transmission fluid level indicator only.  Can you or anyone else out there confirm that it serves as both a low fluid level indicator and a temp indicator?  If so at what temperature does the light come on?  The after market transmission temperature indicators appear to use a probe much like a water temperature indicator probe on a car and this is  inserted somewhere into the transmission case.  I'd like to install one of these as I could forstall problems of overheating before damage is done by watching to see if the temperature slowly goes up while driving under a load.  My mechanic says that most automatic transission problems are a result of over heating while the transission is pulling hard towing and on hills.  I think this is confilrmed by the number of various rigs for sale with low milage but with rebuilt transmissions.  I figure a few dollars of prevention is worth $2000.00 or more in cures!
Bob Mollerus

junebob

Bob- 1978 & later Dodge chassis have a transmission dip stick accesable from under the hood.This is also where you add transmission fluid when you change it.An effective way of keeping track of what is happening in your transmission is to check the fluid level,color and smell after suspected hard usage.if its not full red or smells burnt, you know you have over did it.Changing the fluid should be done immediately.You can get after market additional fluid coolers that can be used in addition to the radiator cooling pipe that is stock, or custom transmission pans that hold more fluid and have air passing through passages built into the pan.Ask your mechnic about these options,Either one should preclude your ever having any heat damage.If you really want a transmission temp gauge. Go to a big rig truck shop and ask them what it costs and how they are installed.Temp gauges are and have been standard equipment in road rigs since the early 1950s that I know of.Probably before that.Good hunting Bob Chaney #2626.

EKS

You can also put the sending unit in the lines from the transmission to the radiator or transmission cooler. Install a T fitting in the supply line to accept the sending unit. Make sure it is not the return line because you want the temperature before it goes through the cooler. There are also external transmission filters that have a fitting for the sending unit. Depending upon how fancy you want to get there are also thermostats that bypass the transmission cooler until the oil heats up to a certain temperature.

cat

I've had a transmission temp. gage since 1988.  It is manufactured by "Valley".  I purchased it at a speed shop.  The sending unit is located in the filter pan.  (Makes for easy draining.)  The "one size, fits all" fitting they suggested using to adapt the sending unit was not to my liking so I made a fitting that was more secure.  When you remove the pan you'll see exactly where to place the sending unit.  I've never regreted having it.  I also installed a large dial, 2 5/8 diam. mechanical engine oil pressure gage.  The stock electrical gage is inaccurate.