News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

timing settings?

Started by luni, October 29, 2004, 01:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luni

I own a 1976 21ft 440 engine clipper and was wondering what the timing should be set to and how.  Hopefully someone could help me out.  Thanks.

Andy Illes

Luni...

Are you sure you have a '76 with a 440?   The old Chilton book I found doesn't list a 440 until the '77 model year.

In either case, the Cal timing for a '76 HD 360 is 4 B, and for the Cal '77 HD 440 it shows 8 B (before TDC).  The book also shows these are plus/minus 2*

See posts on advancing timing, however.  My '76 360 is running at 10* advance, and the mileage difference has been striking.

Hope that helps... :)  Andy.

Conrad

I have an old Chiltons book too. Printed in 77.  It covers all dodge vans from 1967 to 1976.  Timing specs are listed until 76.  After 77 it says to look at the underhood label for your specific timing requirements.

In 76 it shows four 360's, one 400 and one 440ci engine specs.  

The 440 timing is 8B (before TDC).

What I find interesting is the timing for the 360's.  A basic 360 is listed at 6B, the 360-California is listed at 4B, the 360HD (heavy duty) is TDC ( :shock: ), the 360 HD Calif is 4B.

All of them use the same plug gapped for .035, all have hydraulic lifters and all were spec'd for 700rpm idle with Automatic Trans.

If anyone is interested I can scan the page and send it.

Andy Illes

Hiyya guys.

Conrad, this is strange.   I looked at my Chilton again, figuring maybe I had misread or something.  My book (same as yours but covers '67-'86) has a tune-up chart on page 37, the one I quoted from, and it does NOT list a 440 for '76 - only 225s, 318s and 360s (with exactly the Cal timing specs I said).  You've always posted good information, so I'm scratching my head, and thumbed around some more.

Guess what?!?  There's ANOTHER chart, for general engine specs, on page 69 which DOES list the 440 for 76-77.  Go figure, huh?  Sorry I wasn't more thorough, but that tune-up chart seemed authoritative enough... my apologies.   :oops:

Conrad

Ahhh, there is so much different printed information out there that I thought I would add my 2 centavos worth.  I figure that we can all sift through it to find what we need.  Mo' is betta'!