News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fuel pump

Started by Den, August 14, 2004, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den

Curious if anyone is running an electric fuel pump back by the tank ? Would this help or hinder ? Down side from what I can see is it woulod always have to be on.

handyman

Thats where elec pumps should be mounted the closer to the tank the better I have two tanks and have a filter then a pump on each then it goes to a switching valve so I can select whitch tank to use yes your engine pump will pull gas through the elec pump when off the best way to wire them is through the oil press switch that way if you get into a wreck when the engine quits so do the pumps :D ps allso gets rid of vapor lock problems and if your gen needs to be primed

aliendude

I was going to do this same thing.   I was told by somebody on www.allpar.com that the stock fuel pump my or may not be able to pull
thru the electric boost pump depending on what type it is and where the electric pumps vanes stop.  
I guess the current drain to the electric pump is so minimal it is nothing.

I have a brand new fuel pump and a clear fram g-2 filter and my brand new stock pump sometimes has barely a dribble coming into the filter.    
I have been told this is ok.

Plante

I have 2 electric pumps about 6 inches apart near where the spare tire is hung, with a toggle switch on the dash for power.  The previous owner must have had problems with vapor lock because he had several clothes pins on the gas line.  But the electric pumps take care of that - on long hill climbs in hot weather the engine will start to sputter; I just flip the switch and it smoothes right out.

aliendude

I probably should install a 'boost' pump.   Checker auto has a generic electric type for $38.    

I've been fighting fuel problems for a while now.    The used Clipper
I bought had sat since '97 in a storage place......
Rebuilt the carb 3 times,  several fuel filters,  a bad fuel pump....
disolved fuel lines.....

Thankfully somebody decided to syphon most all my gas - after I got the RV the the apartments where I live.    I can keep it out back.    

I'm pretty sure who did it too......as now they're cars don't work
BA ha ha....LOL.  

With my luck the tank will leak, once I get the thing smog inspected and finally can go fill the tank.

Horst

aliendude - start cruising the junkyards and look for a spare 36gal polyethylene tank - just in case yours does crack/leak.
Mine did - and I found my replacement at a junkyard for $40 - well worth it compared to new - or trying to get a 50gal steel - and having it fitted.

the above applies only of you have the stock 36 gal that came with early Clippers
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

aliendude

I think I have the 36 gallon tank.    It's steel.  

I have not found an  'RV' junkyard here.    Well there's some
storage places that might as well be.....
Tuscon has tons of RV storage places.  

I know my filler hose leaks.    Could I just use a radiator hose as one?  
I have to excavate the connection.    It's covered in mud.    

My Clipper isn't smogged yet so I can't take it to a car wash yet.....
It had 3 inches of mud caked under it behind the tires.    

Solidified rusted mass leaf springs.......  I wire brushed them and soaked them with wd-40.    It bounces good now.  

I'm Happy.  Tonight  I just put a new Holley II 2210 2bbl on it and it runs sweet.  
I guess after a carb is worn out - no matter how much you try to rebuild it - it won't work.    

The 2bbl has a vacuum pulled up plunger in the top die cast lid and It was so worn out, the vacuum could not pull it up.........only if I sprayed carb cleaner in the bowl..........to get a seal.  
Now it works.    before the power valve was falling down and dumping
2.5 gallons thru in 45 min and a short parking lot jaunt.  

:)

Now I got to fix my brake lights........... and maybe once I got money in the  bank for an emergency TOW I can try to get this beast smogged.......

Then I can flush my trans, change the diff gear oil, and lube up the front bearings, and bleed new fluid into the brakes........and try a road test.....
Whoo Ho. .

Horst

I'm pretty sure that Clippers did not come with 36 gal steel tanks - yours is either:
-a 50 gal steel tank (I think they actually hold a bit less though)
- a "custom" steel 36 gal tank (which I have never seen)
- a "steel-plated" 36 gal polyethylene tank -  hah!

you probaly have a 50
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

aliendude

oh.     It looks like a galvanized steel tank.   Though,  I'm not sure.    Maybe someday I be able to fill it up in stages....to find out what size.    
It would be good if it was a 50 gal.  

I tapped down the side of it to try to figure out how much is in it.   I don't know whether to trust the gauge.     Can't tell much.    It has so much
undercoating on the bottom of it.   1/4 thick...

I was wondering because I have a clear Fram G-2 filter by the carb, and it was barely dribbling fuel into it.....  so I thought maybe I was on the verge of running out of gas.      Went to tap on the tank and couldn't tell
much.   I guess that is normal.  

I probably have to replace all the hoses under there anyway.   If the front
fuel line to the fuel pump - from the rail, was dissoving and collapsed
probably the other need changed too....

I noticed the previous owner had capped off the hoses to the vapor
canister,  and removed the scavenge hoses up to the carb.    
I'm going to try to get away with the smog inspection like that.

Though I wonder if that's why there is so much air in the fuel filter....

THANKS

EKS

If you check with NAPA they have a fuel pump for RV's
It includes a one=way  route around the electric pump so you do not have to pull through the electric pump. When there is pressure from the electric pump the one way valve closes. It works and it is on a switch so that I only turn it on when needed. Theyalso have a switch that shuts off when no oil pressure so in case of a wreck it does not pump fuel. The other thing you do is include your starter motor in the circuit so that the electric pump is ON whenever your starter motor is on.
Works great with my clipper that is used to tow a horse trailer.

Robert P. Anderson

The 50 gal tank is L shaped and steel. The 36 gal is plastic and has round corners.
One of the first things they look for in Calif on a smog test is that all of the lines are hooked up to the right places - they will charge you twice if you don't pass the  visual. :roll: