News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Generator exhaust

Started by Den, July 18, 2004, 06:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den

Curious on why the generator exhaust comes right out below the window ? Thinking of having it exhaust under coach. Any ideas on this ?

handyman

Do not put it under the house they put the exhaust where ever the gen is even the new ones still come out right where there mounted but what ever you do don't put it under the house you might go to sleep and not wake up. you can run it back to the rear but make sure it sticks out far enoff so exhaust can't inter the house, I'm looking at a mod that camping world sells it hooks on your gen exhaust and goes above the roof gets the exhaust and the noise away from the living area :D

Den

Seen those only thing is how do you open the window ? :cry:  That pipe runs along the coach right up my window.

db

handyman

take it to a muffler shop they can cut and add a peace to make it exit further back

Den

See this is why it's nice to ask, because the obvious will just sit there never seen. Thanks muffler shop here we come.

db

lmgoodwin

I recently installed a new Generac in my 21 ft Clipper Bunk House model.

I did not like the idea of the exhaust exiting under my window. I also went to a muffler shop. They made me a solid pipe that connected at the generator muffler (on my Gererac the muffler is built into the unit). The exhaust pipe exits right rear just inside the curve of the bumper and sticks out about five inches. Since the spare tire sticks our further than the exhaust pipe the chances of bumbing into it are small. It looks good sounds good.

Len

bigray

Did it reduce the noise level at all? How old is your Generac generator/what model?

lmgoodwin

Bigray,

I installed a Guardian RV generator by Generac. Model 004700-0. It beleive cost less than $1300.00. (before AZ sales tax). It weighs 170 lbs and consumes .55 gals per hr under full load.

As far as noise goes it is not as quiet as a Honda or some of the others but the cost was half of what I could buy a used generator for and none of them would fit. The noise level from inside the coach is reasonable. Lets face it with only 21 ft of coach how far can you get from the generator. From the outside it is quiet and I don't think any one would complain. I build in quite a bit of sound proofing.

We had the Clipper out for our first real outing last weekend. We went to an atv park near Bastrop, TX. As you know last weekend was in the mid nineties. (we now live in Cedar Park, TX having moved from Sun City AZ). I ran the generator for more than nine  hours both sitting in the park and on the way back. Dash air didn't cut it in that kind of heat. It did just what it was made to do.

If you need more information give me a shout.

Len

bigray

Thanks for the info Len. I have a older generac so I was wondering. Was thinking of changing the muffler to reduce the noise a bit.

Bastrop 'ey. I ride the MS150 bike ride from Houston to Austin. The route is through Bastrop Park. I've been intending to go camping there as well.

Take care!