News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Front disk brake not releasing quickly enough

Started by Conrad, May 30, 2004, 10:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad

My right front disk brake does not release quickly upon removing of brake pedal pressure.  I have replaced the caliper and shoes, had both front rotors turned, replaced the master cylinder and still no improvement on this prior problem.  I have done a complete bearing and brake replacement on all wheels as well.  

A test drive through my neighborhood a few times tells me that the piston releases slowly compared to the left front.  It does not 'grab', when pressure applied it feels normal.  There is no pedal modulation when brake applied nor when brake released.  However the vehicle tends to pull to the right ever so slowly and eventually tracks straight and true.  The caliper heated up some compared to the left side.  I am leary of taking it out on the freeway and seizing up on me after a downhill run.

What causes the piston to retract the brake pads on release of pedal pressure?  Is it the master cylinder or is there a return spring in the caliper/piston assembly?  

Someone mentioned that the brake hose could be collapsed.  I can replace that (maybe my brake job wasn't so complete, eh?)  But I am wondering about the mechanics of the disk brakes.  

Can anyone help?  Thanks

Shayne

Being that you have replaced the caliper and the master cylinder, I would look for a pinched brake line... not pinched closed, so under the extreme pressure of the power brakes it lets the caliper clamp.. but not so quick to let the pressure bleed off.  That's my guess anyway  :)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Cookiecruncher

What you have come accross is a bad  brake line ( the inside is comming apart ) causing your brake pull and not releasing the fluid ( acting like a check valve ) Change BOTH front rubber lines bleed the system and you will be in good shape.

Rember what ever you do to one side for brakes do the same to the other side

This message brougt to you from a cert. Tech Mechanic