News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Rear main oil seal mopar -440 engine.

Started by junebob, March 29, 2002, 09:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junebob

I recently received a phone call from a member in the south central U.S.     .I have had no experience with this problem so I could not ansewer the Question.HELP out there Anybody.    Bob Chaney #2626

tomfridley

bob- you can replace the rear main-seal without removing the engine or transmission.
this is done by removing the engine oil pan and rear main bearing cap. i would suggest to buy a chilton's manual or equivalent book.
it is a messy job, but it is still the easiest way by far.

DCI

Can you go into more detail? Do you have to jack the motor up, remove trans...etc?

Tom

Cookiecruncher

The best way is to answer your question about jacking up the motor is this. If you can get the oil pan off and outa the way then no the engine does not need jacked up. But if you can not remove the oil pan then you need to jack up the engine.

Hope this is of some help  

DCI

Well it looks like jacking the motor will not help. So before I go to all the trouble maybe someone who has done it before can provide a little more detail on what all is involved.

Thought maybe there was a trick to it that I was missing.

Tom

Conrad

Maybe loosen the motor mounts.  that might give it enough play to move a bit.

DCI

OK - here is the procedure (so to speak).

I had to take the bottom bolts off the motor mounts for both sides. Jack the motor up until you see it stop. Then put a slight dimple across the sump where the frame runs.(easier to do when the pan is still bolted on) This gave me just enough room to slide the pan under the trans.( I did have to rotate the motor by hand until the front connecting rods where up.)
In hindsight it might have been just as easy to move the trans back about two inches and leave the motor alone. You would need a trans jack and take the drive shaft completely loose but that looks like it would have given me enough clearance without jacking the motor up.
Knowing what I know now I could do the whole job in one day if I have the parts on hand.

Tom

bigray

I changed my rear seal yesterday and it took about 30 minutes. I didn't have to do anything but remove the oil pan, oil pump, and bearing cap. Mine was the two piece seal.

Earlier, I felt at a disadvantage by having chevy chasis when most of the rigs and discussion were about dodge. However, when I compare my seal experience to you dodge owner, I feel lucky.