News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

CLIPPERS WITH CHEVY CHASIS 400 ENGINE

Started by bigray, March 02, 2004, 04:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

QUESTION FOR ALL YOU VETERAN CLIPPER JUNKIES (I'M A JUNKY TOO, JUST NOT AS KNOWLEGABLE YET) OUT THERE. HOW MANY CLIPPERS WERE MADE USING THE CHEVY CHASIS WITH THE 400 BLOCK. I HAVE A 79 WITH A CHEVY/400 AND I DON'T HEAR MUCH TALK ABOUT THEM.

I'VE READ EVERY POST ON ACOC WEBSITE AND IT SEEM EVERYBODY HAS A DODGE. I KNOW THAT THE CHEVY WAS USED WHEN THERE WAS A SHORTAGE FOR DODGE; HOWEVER, JUST WONDERING HOW MANY WERE ACTUALLY MADE AND HOW MANY OF THOSE PUPPYS WERE STILL ON THE ROAD.

Tyler Hoodenpyle

Hey Big Ray, I know of two Chevs here in Vancouver, WA.  That is all I can add!

Tyler
ACOC # 3441

Horst

For some reason - I seem to remember that the total number of Chevy Clippers was actually quite low - like 400 or 500 or so.
I could be wrong here however......
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

junebob

BIG RAY-    
If you have a chev chassis Clipper , I'll tell you what you've got.    
#1-    You have a better braking system than a dodge Clipper.Unless the Dodge has the carbon metallic brake lining and you don't
#2-    You have an engine that is available either new , rebuilt, or ALL PARTS avaiable on every body's shelf.AND BETTER YET    You should have a more positive power steering system.
Congratulations Bob Member #10

bigray

WELL THAT CERTAINLY MAKE ME FEEL BETTER. THANKS GENTS.

I CHANGED MY BELTS AND STARTED TO HEAR A LITTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS COMING FROM THE POWER STEERING AREA. I WOUNDERED IF THE NEED FOR A DOUBLE PULLY APPLIED TO ME.

AS FAR AS BRAKES GO. I CALL A MIDAS A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO TO GET A ESTIMATE ON CHANGING THE MASTER CYLINDER AND ALL THE BRAKE LINES. I HAVEN'T EXAMINE THE VERY VERY CLOSE BUT IT WILL GIVE ME PEACE OF MINE TRAVELING WITH MY FAMILY (WHICH IS ABOUT TO GROW BY ONE WEDNESDAY OF NEXT WEEK. MY WIFE IS EXPECTING OUR SECOND CHILD).

AT ANY RATE, MY CONCERN WAS THAT MOST OF THE HELPFUL INFORMATION DIDN'T APPLY TO MY CHEVY.

junebob

BIG RAY.
I have never heard of any problem with the Chev belts, But who knows?    bob # 10

bigray

Hi Bob,

There is no leak that I can detect and I checked the fluid level. I can hear it when I'm driving between 50 and 55 or so.

I thought perhaps it was the  odometer cable or something. I'm going to trouble shoot it when I get a little more time.

Thanks for the feedback though!!

HPotter

During the later production years of the Clippers ('79 and '80) Chrysler Corp. got into financial trouble and because of the size of the company and the impact it would have on the economy, Uncle Sam loaned them money to keep them from going under. One of the conditions was that they had to cease production of things that were not profitable. They also, for clean air issues, had to stop making vehicles with "muscle" engines.
Suddenly Irv Perch could no longer get the cut-off van chassis that the Clippers were built on.
That's when he was forced to look elsewhere for chassis and Chevy was where he went.
So that's why the last Clippers were no longer Dodge powered.

Harold, ACOC #886

bigray

Hi folks,

Turns out that the noise that I heard was from the harmonic balancer. I finally got tired of the noise and pulled out the trusty hosepipe and whala....    I traced it to the harmonic balancer.

While I had it apart, I changed the front and rear seal, oil pan, transmission gaskets, and time chain gasket. By the way, don't buy the new one-piece rubber gasket for the oilpan. The front piece is not necessary when you by the four-piece gasket. The bottom of the timing chain cover fits snuggly in the oil pan without the front piece.

I'm cleaned everthing and painted everthing in a bright blue and put her back together. Man, life is good. Isn't it.