News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

towing

Started by Gordon Cecil, February 19, 2004, 11:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Cecil

I have a 79 rear door. Built on a one ton chassy. How can it be beefed up.As is the hitch has little support.Iwould like to tow a twenty foot boat.

Plante

I also tow a boat - I had a hitch shop in Canby install a hitch.  It must be welded back to the frame.  Cost me about $200.  The previous owner towed a car, which creates no tongue weight, and had a small (1 1/2" I think) receiver.  The shop installed a larger receiver and welded brackets back to the frame because the tongue weight of the boat can be several hundred pounds.

junebob

Gordon-
Rear frame extension    Look up the post for 01-16-2002 in the Tech Forum:D [That I submitted] .It is ONE PROPER way to reeinforce your frame extension,And I believe the best engeneered that I have seen.It has been totally succesful for me. To date I have not seen anything load wise it will not handle. As was stated in the text, it has the important lateral,or side to side strength that is needed.as well as more weight capascity than yourClipper chassis and 440 engine could ever handle.Bob Chaney #2626