News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Power Steering to light

Started by atvclipper, November 09, 2003, 01:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atvclipper

Typical of 70's Dodges my Clipper's power steering is too light, almost like it's not hooked to anything. Resulting in an oversteering on my part. The power steering belt to a friend's RV broke. He like the "manual" steering so well that he has not replaced the belt. Are there any problems with operating this way?  

mollerus

Jerry,  I don't think you will do any damage to the steering unit with the belt disconnected.  However, based on my experience with an older mustang with a broken PS belt, you are going to find that you have the ability to steer going down the road with the wheels in a high rate of motion but you will need the strength of Hercules to move the wheels while standing still or at low speeds.  Parking will be your supreme test.  These rigs weigh in at 8500 lbs. plus and came with power steering for a good reason.  Check with a good MOPAR mechanic and see if there is an adjustment to reduce the assist pressure.  Good luck.  Bob

atvclipper

Hey Bob,
Throw a rock across the "canal" and you might hit the house where I grew up in Bremerton, or where I lived in Silverdale for 18 years. Anyway, thanks for the info., I suspected the heavy steering issue. I'll check with a mechanic on adjusting the assist preassure. It's also been suggested that adjusting the free play in the steering box might help.
Thans again, Jerry

Sally Ann Healy

Dear Bob & Jerry:  please define "assist preassure".  The overly light power steering in my '75 is the bane of my existence re: my rig.  I'm usually terrified when I drive it, which I hate;  because then it just sits & rots away.  Otherwise, I love my rig.  SAH

Sally Ann Healy

Bob & Jerry:  PS  When I first bought my rig from a neighbor in Beavercreek, Ore., I took it to Les Schwab's in Ore. City for this very problem (& replaced all of the tires)  The whole front end was loose w/ both wheels pointing to the right.  (& this guy took it on hunting trips towing a horse trailer!!!)  It drove some better after they fixed it, but I had further discussion w/them about tightening up the "free play" even more.  They talked about replacing some kind of box, but they said it wasn't a for sure remedy & very expensive.  Is this resolveable?  Thx.  SAH  

Tyler Hoodenpyle

This is extremely common with Chrysler power steering boxes, look no further than Firm Feel Inc. in Vancouver, WA.  Dick Ross owns/operates this outfit and will rebuild or modify your steering box or take yours as a core.  I had one done for a 1970 Dodge passenger car, friend had one for a 69  and we both were AMAZED with the difference in response!  Ranks as some of the best money I've spent for the return. Contact him 360-546-3633.  This I would consider after checking the Pitman and especially the Idler arm on the passenger side.

Sally Ann Healy

Oh, thanks for the info.!  It's great to learn that there's a shop right here in Vanc. that can deal w/it.  SAH          

mollerus

For you computer nerds Firm Feel has a web page that describes their power steering alterations and options for 1962-85 MOPAR rigs.  These cost $299 for the rebuild plus a $100 refundable core charge.  Their website is:  www.firmfeel.com   Bob

Sally Ann Healy

Bob:  as usual you are a wealth of info.  I read the web page & found it to be interesting. I'm relieved that it can be fixed, & I can enjoy driving it without being in total fear.  Thx.       SAH