News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

1978 Dodge AMCL, FAILED SMOG - EGR/Vacuum issue

Started by satorizero, January 04, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satorizero

Hello all!
Happy New Year
No more "Tech Forum"? Hmm.. Anywho

For all those who have followed my posts, I bought my Clipper from some random guy off CL about 8 months ago for $1,350. The guy gave me the run around for a long time about the pink slip, so I ended up getting the DMV to transfer it to me anyway. I also had no clue smog was mandatory for seller to have upon deal, but oh well.

Anyway, I finally got enough money to pay for registration, all I had to do was smog. So I took it to some asshole who charged me $90 to do it, free resmog if it fails and HE does repairs...
So, basically, I failed... It passed in prior years however.

The report mentioned EGR not functioning and vacuum lines disconnected... And high CO2 levels.

Help me please? Im piss poor... I cant afford someone to fix it... Im very handy so lay it on me.

Ill post the report pic, then pics of issues I found.

Is THIS the EGR valve AND the hose thats supposed to be connected to it? (this is 1 of 2 disconnected hoses, this yellow/black one traces back to the center of vacuum pump)

Please tell me what this hose is for? It traces back to the left side of vacuum pump...

Please tell me what this device is? The line coming off of it is charred...

Last but not least... My fuel pump is completely disconnected.
How does this factor in here? And how do I fix it (or should I?)

P.S. I read somewhere that someone disconnected their EGR valve on their Clipper for better idling... Is this true and should I do it (after smog clears of course)?

Many questions, thank you masters for your advice.

Toedtoes

Hi Satorizero,

I can't help you fix the problem, but my guess is that the previous owner disconnected said items for better fuel economy, idling, etc.  How much better is questionable - some folks will fight for a 1mpg difference (I know someone who won't use her AC in the car because she swears it changes her mpg from 26 to 27), while others won't bother unless it's a significant difference (5+).

P.S.  The Tech Forum is still there, but the security has been updated so that it is only available to club members (this forum is being financed and maintained by the club, so it just seems fair that they get something back in return).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

satorizero

Ah thank you Toe for at least a quick reply :)
I would like to believe the last owner did such things more due to incompetence more than anything ;).

Tequache

Hi Satorizer

There should be a vacuum diagram for the smog vacuum lines on a label under the hood. it shows you the hose colors and where the lines should go. the lines on mine have been disconnected by previous owner also, But I live in western Colorado and we don't have the smog checks.

Ed
76 440 Dodge 821f RK  ACOC# 3774

Clipper Joe

Hello Satorizero,

Do you Have Access to Send Me A PMsg.
Where Do you Live? I Live In East Bay.
Can You Send Me Your Phone #
I may Be Able To Help You On Your Smog Problems.
I Have A spare EGR Unit. For 440-3.
But It May Be Something Else.
I Had a Small Issue After I Rebuilt My Engine,
I Can Talk to You About That. The CO Is Caused By Excess Of Carbon on Pistons& Valves Etc,
Can Also Explain How To Help You With That.

One Last Thing Have You Joined The National Chapter Yet?

Hope This Helps,
Joe
ACOC# 3749

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

satorizero

Thank you guys.

@Ed I found the diagram!

@Joe Thanks again as always. Lemme figure a couple things out and Ill pm you my # when Im ready for ya :D

satorizero

OK, talked to a couple friends, and Clipper Joe on the phone... Joe and my friend are gonna update me as they go.
For now, some updates:

Ive learned some things researching.

The engine runs pretty good as it is currently connected, but of course I cant pass smog so its not working in THAT area ;). My friend said he can smell gas in exhaust pipe, further showing I do have a rich mixture (higher CO).

#1 I dont see my Charcoal Canister, and dont know where it goes.
#2 Im gonna post a picture below, My EGR valve is not connected (hose just sits by it). May be bad EGR valve? I attached the hose to it and it did change the idle speed...
#3 I cannot find my EECGR valve.
#4 The hose that comes off the Solenoid Delay Valve, is not connected and looks burnt closed (on purpose?). It is supposed to go to TPS, but as u can see the TPS goes straight to Carb.
#5 My Vacuum (ECS) Canister is non existent from what I can see, hose just hangs there.

So yea... :/

If anyone has any pics they can send me of their '78 440 and how its connected, id greatly appreciate it... my email is satorizero@yahoo.com. Ive scoured the internet for info, and its very hard to find.

For now... the cops payed me a visit due to a-hole neighbors, so im going to have to move the RV to San Pedro, and Ill work on it there where I wont be bothered lol. So if anyone has input, please lemme know. Thanks.

Heres the pic (refer to hose diagram for colors and pathway comparison)
p.s.  TIP: all my pictures I post can be clicked on, which takes you to Photobucket, which from there you can click in bottom right hand corner to zoom, then once again to see "full original".