News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

cracked gas tank

Started by Horst, October 08, 2010, 05:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

well - my son and I smelled gas while watching the Giants last night in the Clipper.

I checked it out - 5 inch hairline crack halfway up my tank on passengers side, parallel to the ground.
I drained out gas until it was below the crack (have half a tank now)
Can't complain - got this tank at a wrecking yard almost 10 years ago.

But - now what?
Anyone hear about any tricks to patch a polyethylene tank. I found the Ivory soap and duct tape trick on this site. (Not too sure about that one though) Any other ideas (where the tank stays in place) If I have to drop the tank to fix, I'll just replace it.

Also - anyone have any good places to buy a tank that will fit?
Thanks
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

mccammonds

I used several coats of black ABS glue about two years ago.  It lasted for a while.  But I still have the leak back.  I've tried several other things with no success.  Will try just plain ol' supper glue next.   Will monitor any suggestions on this site
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

Horst

I know it's a tough one - all the "glues" (permatex, JB, etc.) say will they work on "almost" anything - EXCEPT polyethylene, and often polypropylene. A friend explained it to me - basically the polys are too "slippery". And I'm not sure I want to look for another junkyard tank - because it will be 35+ years old - these tanks get brittle with age - so any tank I find now will simply crack again - sooner than later most likely.
bummer.....................
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

jon

Anyone ever heard of a plastic welder? My cousin has one for fixixng the plastic fenders on ATVs. I dont know why that wouldent work. It jsut heats us the plastic and then you take a plastic welding rod and melt it back together. No flame no spark just heat.

Horst

yeah - I heard that that was the only way to fix a poly tank - plastic "welding/melting" - but that the tank should be off to do it right - if I'm gonna go through the hassle of dropping the tank - I'm gonna replace it - the problem is I don't know with what - the "Spectrum" ones I see all over the internet ($130-$200) will fit - they are OEM for the van - BUT - only 22 gal..........guess I could live with that, seeing as I don't go too far from home these days..........

I just dont'  want to bother investing too much in this poly tank - its days are  numbered - its probably 35-37 years old - the stuff begins to degrade and get brittle

But I did find a permatex product that supposedly works on Poly - so I'm gonna give that a shot first (not really expecting it to work - but it's worth a $5 gamble) - just for a temporary fix until I find some sort of steel tank that will work.

Horst
ACOC  #2961

jon

While were on theis subject. I have a big square steel tank. It has 2 outlets. One is for the generator. It sits up higher on the tank so you dont run all your gas out with the generator. Prety good idea I thought. I dont know how much the tank holds. Ive never had a reason to fill it. I dont go far.

Horst

It's probably a 50 gal (actually 49+ I think)
There's a company that sells those still - and that's what I might end up having to do. ($650+ - includes all mounting and hoses, attachments, etc. - shipping taxes extra - probably another 150-200 - ouch!)

Went to wrecking yard row in Moss Landing today - no luck - and found out something really disturbing.
I saw a tank that would work for me - and got excited and started to inspect it closely, and noticed a puncture hole in the bottom corner of the tank - what sort of jerk would do that I asked myself. The I found another tank that might have worked (with some mods) and it too had the same puncture mark. what??!!

Come to find out (after calling 4 different pickandpulls looking for a tank) that when they get in a vehicle with a plastic gas tank, they just puncture it to get the gas out before putting it in the yard!! grrggh!!!!!

Went ahead and tried this stuff today
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/radiator_fuel_tank_repair/Permatex_Instant_Gas_Tank_Repair.htm

Probably won't work - but we'll see. I'll put gas in next weekend to see if it leaks.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

Horst

Update:
didn't want to wait until next weekend - the stuff has cured already.

Well - so far - it passed the first test!! (much to my surprise)
I put in 6+ gallons over "crack" in the tank- and my fuel gauge reads just under 3/4 full - which from my experience means I have 25 or 26 gallons in the tank - no leak or of any kind.

So the second test will be to see if it leaks once I start driving it around - not sure is the poly tanks have any baffling (hope they do!) - I figure the gas sloshing around the tank will stress the sides - might spring the leak again - hope not!! If it passes the second test - then I have a decision to make.

There are two "more tests" (but not sure I want to even try them! - I might be happy the way it is (keep the tank under 3/4 full at all times).
The third test would be to fill the tank all the way and see if the additional 9 or 10 gallons of weight/ pressure would make it leak just sitting there.
The fourth test would be to drive it around with a full tank - and see if it holds up.

And of course - there's the ongoing test of time - see how long this "patch" hold up.

I'm still on the hunt for a replacement tank however.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

John Eversoll

Good Luck there Bro I am pulling for ya!!!!!!!!!!  :)   John

caninecaravan

My 36 gallon plastic tank was leaking where the sending unit was attached. My engine guy had a 46 gallon tank made for me out of metal. The gas gauge reads empty when I am down to the last 10 gallons, but I know that I can get 250 to 300 miles on a tank so I jut look at the milage when I get low. It was about $800 installed but no more leaks.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Horst

yep - that's what I need to do - steel gas tank - just looking at different vendors, etc.
This patch is just a temporary fix.
I found a place that sells a 49 and a 44 (justgastanks.com) - got the dimensions - looks like it might work - I'm considering the 44 gal below

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_314&products_id=844

anyone have any other web sites that sell tanks that will work in our Clipper?

Horst
ACOC  #2961

John Eversoll

Hey there Bro,

Let me know on a price!!!!!   I might just replace the plastic tank in mine

600?????   that seems a little on the steeeeeep side don't ya think....

I can see a couple of hundred for a tank,  Hell even a NEW tank for my chevy runs 165.

that is for a 25 gal tank.... NEW"

Let me do some digging and see what I can come with..  Later gater....   John  :)

Horst

John
yeah - the new Dodge 22 gal for our vans are under $200 - includes sending unit and straps - BUT - I'm quite sure they aren't as thick and the quality isn't near what these guys offer.
I found the primary manufacturer of the tank I linked above - and they sell direct - so I'll save even a few more bucks.
Northwest Metal Products
http://www.nwmp.com/fueltanks.asp

Use the "Online Catalog" link on the bottom of the page to find Dodge tanks. They have two units for our rigs - a 44gal (DVR-1) and a 49gal (DVMR-1). The 49 also has a fuel out for a generator. From the schematics they sent me - I think both would work in our rigs - but I'm going to measure it all up this weekend. Pricing is online as well as shipping costs.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

Horst

Update on my Permatex repair - FAILURE!
The tank started leaking today - a very very slow seaping - the gas evaporates before you can even see it - but it's there.
So - I'm going to put another layer of Permatex on it (after scuffing with sandpaper) - and then keep my gas level below the crack for now - which means I'll have about an 18 to 20 gallon tank - bummer.
So - time to save some $$ and get ready for a new tank.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

USNRetired

Darn, Horst..... sorry about that, I was hoping it would be successful.  I look forward to your posts.  I am in the process of trying to find a solution to some of my trials and tribulations too..... may have to buy a new reefer. sigh...  :-) 
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)