News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Towing - Rear Frame Reinforcement

Started by USNRetired, September 03, 2010, 01:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I am pretty new to the RV World and am a new member having purchased my 1977 American Clipper only about a month ago.  From talking with friends in the past, I did know enough to crawl under the rear of the motorhome and verify that the towing setup was attached to the frame instead of just the bumper and it is.  However, I am trying to find out just what I can tow with this beast.  It has the Dodge 440 engine and looks like it was set up to tow just about anything, but I know there is a weight limit.  I have both a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport and a 2010 Toyota Camry.   I would rather have a towing rig installed on the front end of the Jeep than go through the cutting and modifications required to set up my wife's Camry for towing.  The curb weight of the Jeep is 2955 lbs, Camry 3483 lbs.  My email is: marjimjo@cox.net  I need input and advice from other American Clipper Owners more experienced in towing with their RV's.  Please help!  My point is that my background is in electronics, telecommunications and electricity.  The entire setup looks good to me, but is it? 

Jim & Marina Johnson
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

Horst

Make sure the hitch is properly attached to the STOCK part of the Dodge/Chevy frame - not merely the frame extension put on to hold the house.
Check out this diagram
http://americanclipperownersclub.com/images/framesides.gif

If you are only attached to the extension, you'll have serious trouble towing a Jeep or Camry - might ruin your Clipper.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, We have towed the wifes Vw across

the Us twice and havent had a problem ---Yet"

Works great on small cars... Havent tried it on big stuff--Yet"

Later Gater...   John

USNRetired

So far, I have read that the Camry cannot be towed 4wheels down and the Jeep Cherokee 2WD cannot be towed with the rear wheels on the ground at all!  sigh.....  Jeep with rear on a tow dolly towed assbackwards? 
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

Horst

maybe look for a cheap but realiable toad - may not be the prettiest, but who cares... (Geo Metro, VW Bug, a used Saturn, or??) - something that you can drag along behind you four wheels down and not worry about it too much.

I'm sure tow dollies have their place and application -  but I'd think they are a major pain in the butt - it's nice to able to simply disconnect your toad and drive off - and have the Clipper be free of any trailer, etc.

Makes maneuvering in smaller/tighter campgrounds much easier.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

jon

There is a small company here in  Pender, Nebraska that makes tow bars and hitches for anything you wnat to put it on. They will have one for your camery that fits like its suppose to be there. Just google Blue ox and it will come up. Beter yet here is the phone number 1.888.425.5382.

jon

Oh i for got to say. I pull a s-10 pickup trrailer behind me everywhere I go. We have four kids so i fill the trailer up with fire wood, coolers, bikes whatever I need it for.  I can have it full of just firewood and the clipper pulls it like its not even there. I had a 440 but now has a 400.