News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

eBay Clipper

Started by rrcornwell, June 09, 2010, 07:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrcornwell

As of 6/8/10, there's a Clipper listed on eBay - it's one of two stripped coaches Irv converted to shuttle buses, used to transport customers/groups to & from local airports and the Flying Lady. Usually seen parked next to the restaurant during ACOC meets, from 1982 thru the early '90s.  Both were 1979 coaches, one on a '78 Chevy 400 chassis, and the one on eBay on a '78 Dodge 440 chassis. It has a small rear window (as on RB models) and is totally stripped of the usual interior, replaced with upholstered bench seats along both sides and across the rear.
There are no overhead side window cutouts. The coach & chassis are, sadly, in very poor condition - starting price is $1K with no bids yet, and it's located in Milpitas, CA.  BTW, Rhea & I last rode in it, mid-80s, when Irv took us to San Martin (South County) Airport for a ride in the Ford Tr-Motor. We got some good photos of the 200+ Clippers  parked at the Flying Lady that weekend.
If anyone still remembers us, we've been retired in CT since 2001. 2 years ago we bought a 33' 1995 National RV Sea Breeze Class A. Last August we took it to L.A. & back, 7K miles & 7 weeks, a super trip, altho it would've been more fun in our old Clipper (which I've never been able to locate since we sold it in '99 - I still want my rear door glass window with "Cornwell's Clipper" engraved on it, a gift from the club long, long ago)). Whenever we visit L.A., Conrad & Marla Liberty arrange a L.A.Chapter reunion. Good memories. Rhea & I are gratified the Club is still going strong, and send our good wishes.                               Bob
PS I still have several copies of VHS tapes (& a few Beta) I made showing coach mods & fixes I & others made, old ACOC outings at M.H., and the Clipper production line slides which I shot off a projection screen. The original slides apparently have disappeared (Mark Smith, I believe, had them last), altho we sold many sets to members. Hopefully they're available to members to view, altho I've not seen them mentioned in the News for many years.
If anyone wishes to borrow the tapes, I'll be glad to send them. (If you want to enclose a buck or 2 for postage when you return them, I won't argue.)    rrcornwell@aol.com     

Horst

Great to hear from you Bob.
The ACOC still plugs along - but surely different from when you started things years ago.
It's all cyber-space now.
The rally's are smaller (from what I gather) - most people just have less time and money these days it seems....

Every year a few more Clippers go to the big wrecking yard in the sky (I'm currently trying to prevent another one from going that route.....sad story...)

We still have our Clipper - but I do have my eye on something bigger and newer for when the wife and I retire and start part-timing/full-timing (early 90s Airstream 250)
The Clipper will stay with us (kids won't let me sell it) - so we'll likely be a 2 RV family some day.

Glad you are enjoying retirement
regards,
Horst
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

caninecaravan

Mel ( Supply officer) has copies of the original pictures and slides of the production line. They are on a DVD and can be shown on a computer. Contact him regarding a copy.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

JerryT

Hi C.C.
How do I contact Mel?

JerryT

prophetdaniel2

did/does anyone have pictures of the shuttle bus? I tried to find this listing, but couldn't...

caninecaravan

Mel Guerrera who is the supply officer for the national clipper club has all the information you need. He is listed on the roster you get when you join.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

rrcornwell

The auction ended, it sold for $999. You can still see the listing by searching for the item #: 260615054653

John Eversoll

Hi there Bro, I just ran into a Clipper I think you are talking about

Big rig"   Looks like a small Class A"  Red White and Blue flag with the American Clipper Logo.. Just like the one on the front and back of my rig...

Rather nice looking.. I might go back and ask to see the inside ...

:{ )    John

Horst

no John - that's probably a Rexhall "American Clipper"
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Well, what ever it was it did look pretty cool!!!!

How ya been Horst??

John