News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

WHEEL SIZE

Started by des48, May 22, 2009, 12:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

des48

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has changed to a 16 inch wheel, instead of the 16.5 because of tire availability. Are there any issues I should be aware of in going to a 16 inch wheel.  I have been told  that as long as the wheels are coined there should be no problem. Thanks DR. Dan ;D

Hank Jourdin

Dr. Dan,  I just went through  a lengthy search for 16" x 6" 8 LUG ON 6.5 pattern dually wheels. They are very hard to find I checked every wrecking yard I could find. Yes you are right they must be coined wheels, because the wheel hubs are also coined. I just found a set on eBay brand new for 80.00 each plus shipping total to my door ups 749.00, and I felt that was a deal. It took me over a year to find them. I can tell you if you look on eBay there is 1 wheel left, he had 8 and I bought 7. check it out may a quick email to them maybe he can get more. I know he might be able to get more because I saw the same wheels list for sale over 1 year ago , but I thought Orwell I look around awhile for a better deal!  Well that was a mistake 1 year later same price and happy to pay it. If I can help just give a yell.  thanks Hank Jourdain

des48

Hi Hank I found 4 ford and two dodge coined 16 inch wheels in an old savage yard in Albany, OR. I payed 45.00 a piece. I have a lot of clean up to do, or I could have them powder coated white for 22.50 each which makes the total for each wheel 70.00. I don"t know what I am going to do. I still have to buy tires front shocks and have a header welded. ;D DR. Dan

John Eversoll

Hi des48, If I were doing what you are doing I would have them powder coated!!  They sand blast them first and will discover any cracks in the rim weld them and then coat them.
I was thinking of having mine Plated, but not sure of which to do as the cost is about the same
Good luck!
John