News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

AC/Gas Refrigerator

Started by xlt4, May 09, 2009, 08:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlt4

Hello all,

I have a '79 Clipper on a Dodge chassis.

Is it ok to run the refrigerator on gas while driving?

Is is possible to convert the refrigerator that runs only on AC or gas to also run on 12 volts?

Does anyone have a manual for one that is a tri mode?

thanks in advance

Roger

clockwork

Hi Roger;
   *Most* people believe running the refer on gas while driving is ok except through tunnels, etc. I have never had any issues. Some folks super cool the refer the day before and load it the night before and this would also keep the contents cool for a normal travel day.    The refer *could* run on 12v with an ( expensive) inverter but would drain a single 12v battery quickly. No manual, but I'm willing to help w/any ? you may have.

dave 

mccammonds

We have been full time RVers for many years and we always run with our Refrig on Propane.  Now, Mind you some time the wind will blow out the flame but we just check it when we stop and light it again.

With a 3- way you could run it on 12 Volt while traveling.  Mine in my 1975 is only a 2-way so I just keep it on propane.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

xlt4

Thanks for the replys.  I have seen the three way setup in some RVs and was just woundering if the element could run on 12 volts or if went through an inverter.  A sechematic would show this if anyone had one. On the ones I seen, it would only run on 12 volts when the engine was running.

Running on propane is no big deal but thought it would be nice to run off the battery while traveling.

Roger

caninecaravan

My 78 has a 3 way. We plug it into electricity the night before to cool it down. Run on Battery to the campground or sometimes depending on the length of the drive, just keeping the door closed is enough to keep it cold. Plug into AC when we get where we are going. Was told not to run anything on propane while driving just in case of a fire.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Horst

Running on 12 volt is "iffy" on many older fridges - drains battery like nothing else - sometimes not enough power to cool properly.
Valid arguments for NOT running on propane while driving - although I'll admit to doing it....often.
BUT - be sure to shut it off before pulling into a gas station.

Pre-cooling is vital - at least 24 hours before departure - I get mine packed and cold one day ahead of time.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Man I agree with tyou about "Not driving with it
on propane"!!! 
Wife and I saw what could happen back in 2005
When a desil pusher caught fire and burned to the ground.
That just made me more causous about propane.
Just make sure that you have enough fire extinguishers on board!!!