News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

gas fueling problem

Started by wanderer, April 02, 2008, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

I have just gotten this 1976 dodge 360 engine. 36 gallon gas tank' made of plastic',  21 ft. American Clipper.   When the fuel Gauge shows empty, I try to fill gas tank to full. But I am having problems fueling the tank full.  When filling gas at a medium pump speed,  gas handle clicks off automatically when the level of fuel as reach the top of the tube filling neck.   At this time I look at the fuel Gauge,which shows 3/4 of a tank of fuel.  The pump shows 25 gallans delivered to gas tank.  I continual try to put more fuel in the tank. After each time the gas handle clicks off,  gas slowly settles down the tube with bubbling sound. I continual the same thing for about 10 minutes. A little fuel at a time.  I was able to put almost 9-10 gallans more.   Now the fuel gauge shows full.  Do I have some kind of venting problem or something in the tank broken?

mccammonds

Only in California with those things on the end of the nozzle do I have the same  problem.

I had a 1975 Ford P/U  and I had the same problems.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

LARRY RAY

You are probably right on the money with vent problem. Check for kinked hose to tank. It could be that or too small a vent hose with the amount of fuel you are trying to put in at one time.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

rlwhit

Altho my '78 has a 50 gal tank I had the same problem when we first got it. I discovered if you put the nozzle on the slow fill lock and when it clicks off I pull back the rubber seal on the nozzle and slowly fill until the tank is full. I also have a '89 Dodge Van with the plastic 36 gal tank and I do the same thing with it. Just make sure no one important sees you pull that plastic seal up. Had one guy go postal one....lol

Horst

I have a 75 with 36 gal polyethylene tank too - same "problem".
If you look at where the fill goes in, it's NOT at the top of the tank.
Thus, when you get to that point (it's a bit of fluid dynamics I suppose)  you have to fill it "slow", because the weight of the gas in the fill tube has to displace the gas in the tank (even with perfectly functioning vent system - if you go full blast - it will back-up to the overflow vent)
that's been my experience at least
the last 6 to 8 gallons always go slow
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

mccammonds

I have often wondered which California Bureaucrat was back behind that service station inhaling all those fumes from that gas nozzle.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

jon

The only problem I've had is keeping the gas tank  full. LOL.

AlfLover

Thanks first for having this community available to talk about the great automobiles we've accumulated.

I've a '78 with a 50 gal tank. In Arkansas, I don't run into a problem with the pump shutting off early. .I'm lucky if it shuts off at all. I've filled mine twice and each time the pump ran gas all the way up the stem of the filler tube without clicking off, permitting a half to a full gallon of fuel to hit the ground.

Anyone else having that prob?

rowdiebryan

I need a new tank and a new sending unit.  Any one have a link to where I can get one?

Thanks!

J. Kidwell

Just thought you might want to know that my 78 Clipper has always filled only to the 3/4 level although you sometimes can get a little more in by barely holding the nozzle lever down.  I was told by other members years ago that they all do that.    Has something to do with they way the fill tube on the tank makes a turn.  Hope this helps because I know I thought something was wrong with mine too.  It's the nature of the beast!