News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

oil pressure or repair or replace?

Started by DocnRobin, February 09, 2007, 04:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocnRobin

Hi all, I did a post in the general forum.  Just wondering aside from, I guess, an oil pump and main bearings. Does anyone have a thought on repair or replacement of the engine in a 78 bunkhouse?
We've dropped the pan, checked the pickup, bearings are scorched, air pressure tested ok.
Hopefully fulltiming soon!
Thanks, Doc'n'Robin

JerryT

Hey Doc, sorry to hear that,-- so the oil pump was still pumping, but the bearings are so worn that you lost recordable oil pressure. I bet the last owner abused it then parked it. I was taught if you over heat bearings (low oil or hot engine) the babbit will start to flake off at an advanced rate. How is the crank? Baby butt smooth or scored? So do you patch it up? replace it with a used one? or rebuild it? I am guessing that you have the 440? I have seen old thrashed 70's dodge powered class A's going pretty cheap around here. You might find one with a low mile 413/ 440 in it for a swap. All the 440's I have ever owned used oil, if they didn't keep an eye on it, they may have run it very low a time or two. It was only 25 below freezing this morning here, I think spring is around the corner.
Jerry T