News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Rear door swing

Started by JerryT, May 12, 2006, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

Hello All!
I bought 1978 AC rear kitchen last year and have been doing what I like to call refinements because this rig is hard to improve:), but there is one thing that I did not like when I bought it, and I still don't,  the rear door. At first I thought it should have opened up flat against the wall, I even went to RV surplus stores looking at curved doors that would allow full swing (I live close to Elkhart Indiana) but it looks like a lot of monkey business to make the change. So the wife and I were sitting under our newly installed 13' Shademaker awning (I did it my self) admiring the coach, when it hit me, what if the door swung the other way? I am sure it would be do-able and I think it would make the patio area nicer to use or am I missing something? What do y'all think?
Thumbs up or thumbs down, and why.
Jerry

Shayne

The doors are always hung with the hinges toward the front.  If it opened the other way and for some reason it was not closed tight, once you hit the highway, it would rip the door off in dramatic fashion.  :)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

bigray

I agree with Shayne.........

JerryT

Thats a safety feature I did not think of! ,but if you teathered the door to limit swing and deadbolted when traveling, would a reverse swing door be nicer to use when camping?
Jerry

Shayne

Quote from: "JerryT"Thats a safety feature I did not think of! ,but if you teathered the door to limit swing and deadbolted when traveling, would a reverse swing door be nicer to use when camping?
Jerry

I think that is going to just be personal preference.  I can see how it might be slightly more convenient.  I never really gave it much thought, I just accepted that's the way it was.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

couldn't you put longer hinges on the rear door, it would still open the same way but you could open it all the way against the body of the RV and put a small latch to hold it solid to the body while your parked, just a thought

JerryT

Fred
I looked at that but I think the screen door would make it hard to do as they need to swing togther on a common hindge. With the awning deployed a rear swing door just seems natural as the door would open toward the awning arm. Is there anything inside that would make a difference?
Jerry