News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Interior collapse

Started by KEYSJUNK, June 25, 2002, 10:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEYSJUNK

Does anyone out there know how to support the
house, as mine seems to be sagging across the frame.  I was doing some repairs to the furnace
and noticed that the lower shelf of the cabinet was sinking down. I also noticed that the wall of
the storage cabinet was buckling at the bottom.
This is a 1977 Dodge 21ft, rear kitchen model.  
In doing under body maintence I've noticed that
there seems to be no center body gussets on either
side. Is the house only supported in the front cab
area and rear body panel?  I think that maybe the
rear panel should be raised to take some of the
sagg off of the interior. I have also checked the
rear frame and it has been extended an additional
21/2 feet for a platform. The job was of well done
professional quality.  Done with what looks to be
rectangular steel tubing.

HPotter

We had the problem you describe on our '77 rear kitchen model. It appeared that over the years the weight of the refrigerator had started collapsing the shelf support beneath it, putting pressure on the front cover of our Suburban furnace so I couldn't get the cover off. We took a turnbuckle of the type with a cast aluminum frame and welded two square plates on the ends of the eyelets and inserted in between the floor and the under side of the shelf alongside the furnace. By turning the turnbuckle we were able to push the shelf upward, using it as a jack and returned the shelf to its proper level. It's working fine after a couple years. Might be worth a try in your case.
Harold.

EKS

Is the back of the home sagging. If so look at the information on rear frame reinforcement. If it is just a shelf sagging that is a different problem

KEYSJUNK

I've read the articles about rear end sag with the frame.  The rear entry door is aligned perfectly.  When I jack up the rear frame it changes the alignment.  I found the sagging shelf and jacked it up and put a support on the left side of the furnace, but after this fix I noticed the sagging is still falling on the right side of the support.  The cabinet wall which is in the entry way at the bottom has large buckles in it around the heater vent.  I also noticed that the closet door on the left side (cloths closet) now  scraps the bottom of the AC grille. I took a look on the roof and noticed a valley around the AC unit. (Bad roof joist?)