News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Water Pump

Started by Ruben, November 28, 2005, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruben

Is there a way to know If your water pump is the high output (performance)?
My Clipper is a 78, 440 cid that had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago and its run hot ever since. Last summer I installed a new thermostat (MR. Gasket ft 4367)  a new thermal fan clutch and  radiator cap and it did not make any difference. The radiator was replaced at the time of the rebuilt.
The only numbers that I can see on my water pump are: 3G 12 or 36 12, and there is also a 6161 M.  
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks
Ruben

Rodney

Hi Ruben
I wouldn't know how to tell even if the pump were out of the engine?
I did just replace the water pump in my 72 440 engine in my New Yorker and while comparing the OEM to the new rebuilt I noticed the oem pump had fewer but larger veins than the new one. So what would be better 5 large veins or 7 smaller ones? dunno?
Is moving more coolant faster thru the radiator going to cool the engine better? or having the coolant pass thru the radiator sloower to remove more heat a better deal?

do you know if the radiator you installed has the same amount of cores as the one that came out? is your fan shroud installed?

I should ask how much hotter is the engine running and is this all the time or only on hills or driving slow in town?
when your engine was rebuilt was it a complete job new pistons and a bore job? was the cam degreed in to specs? timiing set right with no pinging or hard starts?

Rodney

Conrad

try a search on this this site.  your question has been asked before and there are good posts on this subject.

I tried the search by typing in "water AND pump".  no quotes needed.  If the search locks up, exit the site and re-enter and try another search.