News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Installing Onan Generator

Started by Proud2BAmerricun, October 30, 2003, 09:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proud2BAmerricun

I'm installing an Onan BFA Generator in my 78' Clipper and was wondering if anyone had the proper wiring diagram or schematics to help me out? Also need the wiring schematic to the remote. I'm a newbie and would appreciate any help or advice you can give me!
                Thank You
                  Ron

HPotter

To connect the 115 volt output, you should find a 2x4 inch electrical box mounted in the generator compartment with a blank cover on it. This is where you connect the output. This box was factory wired to the 3 prong receptacle just inside the door on the left side where the electric "shore line" cable comes out. Plugging the shore line cable into that receptacle connects the coach system to the generator.
As far as the generator remote controls go, some one else will have to help you.
Of course, if your generator compartment door is not vented, it will have to be, for generator cooling.

Harold, ACOC 886

Shayne

It's not a schematic, but it might give you a general idea...

There are some more pictures on this page.. http://racenut.com/clipper/workprogress.html
You might have to scroll down a bit.

The remote on/off switch should come with a harness which is just plug and play. If not, I would say to just gett he wiring harness rather tahn trying to rig something. It was only a few bucks.

Good luck
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Proud2BAmerricun

Thank you for your help Shayne, & Harold. Got it installed and working fine with a custom grill on storage door along with an opening in the floor off the generator compartment for plenty of cool air flow. Pictures were very helpful and looked nice. Thanks agian!
             Ron H.

Gordon Cecil

Quote from: "Shayne"It's not a schematic, but it might give you a general idea...

There are some more pictures on this page.. http://racenut.com/clipper/workprogress.html
You might have to scroll down a bit.

The remote on/off switch should come with a harness which is just plug and play. If not, I would say to just gett he wiring harness rather tahn trying to rig something. It was only a few bucks.

Good luck

DCI

What type of material would you guys suggest re-lining the compartment with? The stuff I used I have not been all that impressed with and have thought about relining the compartment if there is better stuff out there.

Tom