News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

new owners

Started by caninecaravan, August 01, 2005, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caninecaravan

We are the proud new owners of a 78 21 footer with 61K actual miles. The interior is clean and what we have seen everything works but the dash air which is currently being replaced. We are brand new to RVing( is there such a word?) and this may turn out to be an experiment in terror. Would appreciate any advise and help we can get. Will post pictures when we get the unit and can get them on the site. I don't have a roof mounted air. Any idea where to get one and who can install? :D
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Andy Illes

Woof, woof, woof.... which translates to WELCOME to the Clip world, and the forums... GLAD to have you!!

Start reading posts and you'll learn tons about just about anything you'd care to know.... that's what I did when I first discovered this site after getting mine a couple of years ago.  There are fantastic, helpful people on the forum, as you'll find... and one or the other will have virtually any answer you need.  

As to your roof air question, your roof is already framed and wired to accomodate one... it will fit over the center of the aisle, centered on the fridge.   You only need to cut the hole, smear sealant, drop the unit in, screw the inside plate on, connect the (110) wiring, screw the inside cover/trim on.... and turn it on.  The hardest part is getting a unit up there, they're pretty heavy.  A couple of 14-16'boards leaned against the side will serve as a ramp to slide/pull the thing up there.

Good luck, and again.... welcome!!

Andy & Jaws

caninecaravan

Thanks for the reply. Which roof mounted air conditioner unit can I get? Do you have a brand name? Also turns out the shop that was going to fix it can't get some of the hoses. Need to look for another place. Anyone know the part numbers for some of the pieces to make a new unit fit? Would appreciate that as well. Thanking everybody in advance.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Andy Illes

Hiyya.

Any of the RV roof-mount ACs will work/fit, and as far as I know, they are all about the same reliability/performance-wise, so just shop for the best deal, which is usually online.  I don't know a specific source.  Mine, which I presume is the original and still works perfectly, is a Duo-Therm Brisk Air model.  I'm not sure of the BTUs, but I'd assume 14,000.  

I forgot to mention earlier... Clips use 2 AC circuits:  One for the roof AC alone, and another for everything else, and I assume you've found your breaker panel under the sofa thing.  The large one marked "main" is for a generator.

I've never seen any posts about AC hoses.... nor, unless they're cut or broken or something, seen one fail, so if they're not damaged, I wouldn't fear re-using the old ones.  If you do need to replace, have you tried the obvious... a Dodge dealer?  Failing that, you might try your Yellow Pages under hydraulic hoses, and see if they have or can get hose that works with AC.... seems they would, and they can make up virtually any fitting, or reuse your old ones.... plus, they are used to doing anything from tiny to large jobs.

Hope that's helpful.