News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Rear air bags

Started by Sally Ann Healy, June 29, 2002, 07:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally Ann Healy

Well, I've been reading all of the past enteries re: air bags.  Do they make a significant difference in having them?  The man from whom I bought my rig in Beavercreek, Ore. had added leaves to the rear in order to tow his horse trailer.  I was advised at Les Schwab at that time (in Ore. City, for Dick Chaney's info.)that I needed new shocks.  And I see that others who, also, have a 1976 rig have had to do some modifications in order to install them.  So, is it worth it or even possible w/ the added leaves?  Are the air bags instead of or as well as shocks?   Hope these questions don't sound too dumb.  Thx.  Sally Ann Healy, #3165

EKS

Shocks and air bags serve two different purposes.
AIR BAGS
Allow extra load carrying capacity. You can adjust the air in the airbags to vary the capacity. You can also use them to raise/lower the rear. That means you have the option of adjusting to level the home while parked. The heavier springs that were installed mean a stiffer ride all the time. I think airbags are a better solution because you can adjust them. The ones on our clipper have a tire-type valve on each side so we can put more air in one side vs the other for leveling or put the same amount of air in each to change the load carrying capacity.
SHOCKS
Are to stop the bouncing. Shocks are a tube filled with oil and a piston that moves up and down. One end of the shock is attached to the frame and the other end to the axle. That slows the bounce so you only go up and down a time or two after hitting a bump instead of a dozen times. The heavier duty shocks are probably the better way to go. The standard shocks were for a 1 ton van and the clipper probably weighs twice as much.
The heavier duty springs should not affect ability to add either airbags or shocks.

Hope this helps

Sally Ann Healy

Thanks you very much for the clear & informative reply.  Now I understand the use & differences of both.  SA Healy