News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

1978 Clipper Fresh Water pump advise

Started by Rodger, June 30, 2002, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodger

I need some advise as to what to do about my fresh water system.  I filled the tank and closed all the valves for sink, bathroom, shower etc., and started the pump.  I let it run for a few minutes then got a little scared and shut it down.  I did this a couple time.  Do these pumps need primed?  I would appreciate any advise on how to properly operate it.  As you can tell I just bought a Clipper.  It's a 821FC/T Model.  Thanks for helping.  Rodger

Mark Smith

The way the internal water system works is, turn all taps off.  Turn on the monitor panel switch for water. The pump will run briefly to build up pressure, then shut off.  Now, turn on any tap and the pump will come on and the water will flow until you turn the tap off. A demand system.
It sounds like you have a situation where the pump runs, and no water flows. This could happen if the rig has sat for a long time and needs priming.
To prime the system, close all taps. Look for an outside tap (hose bib) on the driver's side and up under the fiberglass at the area where the water pump is located. With fresh water in the reservoir tank, open this tap and turn on the pump switch. When the water flows from this outside tap, close the tap and the system is primed. Let us know if this was the problem, and if the procedure works.
Mark ACOC #1077

amclipper

Rodger,
If your Clipper has not ben used in a while and the fresh water system has been drained, your pump may run for a few minutes while your hot water tank fills up.  Until the tank has filled somewhat, your pump will run like there is no water in the system (or act like there is a major leak).  Once the tank has filled your pump will "load up" then stop.  You can check to see if you have water flow as Mark suggests by using the hose bib by the rear tire.  If you have water flow there, then I'll bet your okay.
ed

Rodger

Thanks a lot Mark and Ed for getting back to my post. I appreciate the advise.  I'm going to check things out more tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted on the outcome.  Thanks again.  Rodger

Rodger

Mark and Ed, I got a chance to look at it tonight and much to my pleasure you were both right.  Thank you very much.  After I replaced the bathroom faucet and the kitchen faucet o-rings I was able to take your advise.  I hooked up a garden hose to fill up the lines and the hot water heater and then disconnect it and started the pump.  I opened the hose bib faucet like suggested and after approx. 10-15 seconds the pump had primed it self and the lines pressurized properly.  Thanks again and don't be too surprised if you hear from this Clipper rookie again!!  Thanks, Rodger