News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Aternator Misalignment

Started by wassie, June 21, 2002, 05:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wassie

My a/c and alt belt jumped off and during reinstallation it looked as if the alternator is misaligned 1/4 inch.  Getting alot of clicking and churping. May not be the original alt bracket, alt was replaced by the previous owner. Does the original bracket attach to the alternator at 3 and 7 oclock position?  This bracket attaches to the block in two places.  It looks like it wraps around the alternator with the alt tightning bolts in front.  There ia only one belt on the alternator, would like to go to two.  Maybe if I find a dual pulley for the p/s I'll do that also.  Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?????

Conrad

I have a dual sheave (dual belt) alternator-AC-crankcase system on my dodge 360.  I can send you a picture of the alternator mounting when I get mine back together.  How dire is your situation?

wassie

Trying to take the least costly approach to the belt noise problem.  If two belts on the alt and A/C will solve the noise issue, then I won't need to go to the dual p/s pulley ($110).  Its not critical...But I would like to know if the bracket is stock.  Can you run two on both sides?

Thanks,  Bill

Mark Smith

Your story sounds like you may be a victom of the following scenerio:
The alternator is installed with two spacers on the bolt that goes to the engine block.  One spacer is located between the mounts on the alternator.  A second spacer it located between the alternator and the block.  If someone did not know the second spacer were there, when they pull out the bolt, the spacer falls onto the frame or some other hard to find place, and the person does not know that it even exists.  The new alernator gets installed without the second spacer and then you have the problem your having. Check it out. If this is what happened, the second spacer may be hidden loose on your chassis somewhere under the alternator.  
Good Luck, and let us know if this is what happenned.
Mark #1077

wassie

Thanks Mark....that was it.   Now I'm looking at replacing the thermostat.  Runs a little warm.  1976 440cid

Mark Smith

Check this web site or the newsletters to be sure you get the right thermostat. It should have a 1 1/2" flow area to keep the engine cool enough. They are sometimes called HEAVY DUTY.
Other sources for overheating are:  loose belts,  old fan clutch, need transmission cooler in front of the radiator. either rod-out or recore the radiator (a big heater), check radiator fan shroud for damage, Clean the bugs out of the radiator (external using a hose), When you replace the water pump on a 440, request a HEAVY DUTY model. Check this web site or the news letters for the part number. If you don't request it, you won't get it, and you will still have too much heat.  Good luck buddy.
Mark ACOC #1077

Mark Smith

Another source of heat is a rusty, stuck heat riser valve located in the exit port of the right side exhaust manifold. If you do not check this spring loaded valve twice a year, it could stick in a partially closed position. That would result in an overheated condition. The purpose of this valve is to close exhaust flow down and pre-heat your engine when starting cold.  As the engine heats, the bi-metalic spring coil expands and opens this valve. Too often this valve gets stuck in the wrong position. You must manually swing it from open to close until it is free to move on its own.  There is a special lube for this valve. Cant tell you what it is.
Mark ACOC#1077