News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Exhaust manifold replacement

Started by Martin2, June 02, 2002, 12:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin2

I am in the process of replacing the right side exhsust manifold on my clipper.  I was wondering if anyone has the chilton repair manual on the 78 440.  If so, I am looking for the torque rating and tighting sequence. Would appreciate any help. Also wondering if anyone has or knows where I can aquire a chilton repair manual for the same year.

Thanks in advance, Tom

LarryAlida

Tom.You might try your local library for the manual.Some auto supply stores sell that soft cover book also.It's the one for the Dodge vans of the same years.I will try to find the manual I used.The right manifold was one of my first projects I did when we bought our Clipper.The second project was the left manifold.It was leaking also.
  I will get back to you in a couple of days.
               Larry B.

LarryAlida

Tom.The chilton manual is # 6934.Dodge/Plymouth vans 67-68.The ex-mani torque spec is 30 ft.lb.
 Some of those bolts go into the water jacket.So be sure to buy the right kind of sealer to put on the threads,if the bolts come out with the nuts.I used some sealer from NAPA that a friend had.
  The sequence I used was from the center criss crossed .At five lbs each bolt until I reached the 30 lbs.I did not have to raise the engine at all. I also took the heat riser butterfly And shaft out and plugged the riser shaft holes .
   My manifolds warped but did not crack.So just had them resurfaced.So far so good.
                Larry B.

Martin2

Hi Larry and Alida,  I wanted to thank you for the info.  It has been very helpful!    The replacement went well.  We went on a test run last weekend to Bodega Bay, here in Northern Ca. and everything was fine.  Just a helpful note for anyone looking for new exhaust manifolds. I was able to get a new one from a co. in Dallas, Tx. Their name is Bishop Engine Replacement Parts Inc.  Ph. 1-800-231-1104  They were the least expensive I could find.  The right side cost me $135 including ground freight. It arrived in about three days.  Tom

Shayne

Thanks for the follow up Tom.  As luck would have it, I cracked my right side exhaust manifold.  The shop was having trouble getting a new one, they tried two different used ones that were unuseable. They ended up welding the crack shut just to get me back on the road as my kids had a race to get to.  But I'm still in need of a manifold because I'm told the repair is only meant as a temporary bandaid. I'll give these guys a call.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

egibbons

Hi Larry and Alida. It's a little late in the string of posts for this, but I have a Chilton's manual I'd be willing to sell for what I paid. ($22 plus $4 shipping). It's called "Chrysler Full-Size Vans 1967-88 Repair Manual". The pages are a little yellowed, but otherwise it's in excellent condition. No rips, stains, etc. Let me know if you want it. If not, I'll list it in the for sale section.
Happy Clippering,
Eric Gibbons #3021