News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

oil capacity

Started by mikeyo, February 26, 2005, 07:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyo

hi how many quarts do i put in my 440? thanks

Shayne

6 quarts without filter, so a little more than that if you change the filter.  You can add 6 quarts, then fill till it reads full on the dip stick.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Andy Illes

Yup... my trusty book agrees with Shayne.  However, if yours has an add-on aftermarket oil cooler, it'll take about a extra quart.  Like Shayne sez... start with the 6 qts, and go from there.

bigray

Speaking of oil changes. My wife drives (and that she does) a 2001 Chevy Suburban. Since acquiring the Clipper, I've started to change my own oil in all my vehicles. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if it's to save money so I'll have extra money to spend on Clipper repairs or if the Clipper repairs forces me to use my mechanical knowlege. Haven't quit figure out which it is.

At any rate, I changed the oil about six months ago in the Suburban. I added 5 quarts and didn't think anything about it. The next morning the "check engine oil level" light came on. I said to myself: what the heck......... I reluctanly added another quart of oil, the light went out and keep rolling.

During the next oil change I used Mobil 1 synthetic. Again, I added 5 quarts forgetting that I put in 6 quarts during the previous oil change. Sure enough my wife call me at work the next day saying that the "check engine oil level" light was on.

I called the dealership and ask one of the service techs how much oil is required and he said 5 quarts. Trusting the oil light more than what he said I added another quart of oil.

Talked to my brother about it just as a side conversation and he says that since I have the tow package on my Suburban it requires 6 quarts. That sure made me feel better.

Moral of this story... check the oil level on the dip stick after the oil change