News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Honda Generators

Started by LarryAlida, April 16, 2002, 03:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryAlida

We have a 1978 21ft rear kitchen.On a Dodge chassis.With roof air.
  Is there any info on installing a Honda Gen.of any type,in our Clipper? Thank you.Larry and Alida.

Horst

I have been doing extensive research on generators, as I want one for my Clipper as well, BUT, I do not want to insert it into the traditional outside storage bay - I'm already using that for storage and don't want to give it up!    

Regarding Honda Generators.
In general, they are superior to almost any other "portable" generator on the market, although I'm hearing and reading very good things about the Generac 4000xl. You SHOULD NOT insert a "portable" generator of any type into the storage compartment, as they require full ventilation (this is one of the reasons RV generators cost so much more than "portable" generators.) If you're planning on doing something "tricky" like mounting a portable on your bumper or something, you'll have to be careful about selecting the proper portable (one with pressurized lubrication, etc.)
That being said, if money is no object, one of the more popular set-ups used by many these days is to buy two Honda 2000i generators and run them in parallel - which gives you enough juice to run your AC, and other appliances when boondocking. The 2000i is by far the quietest generator made, but it's expensive ($850 or so) - plus the parallel kit will set you back another $225 or so, so you're looking at some $2,000 for this set-up - pricey!
But there are advantageous:
1) If you dont need AC, you can run just 1 of the 2000i generators for your appliances
2) They have DC chargers built in and can charge your 12 volt batteries - and are safe with respect to computers, electronics -
3) They only weigh about 45lbs each - and are thus easy to carry around
4) VERY fuel efficient
5) They are VERY quiet
Basically, you get what you pay for.
Me? I'm probably going to end up with a Generac 4000xl.
Horst  - ACOC 2961
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

HPotter

If you really need to run your roof air and/or microwave, you are going to need some heavy generating capacity. I saw one guy who had a big generator on a small trailer he towed behind!
But, if you  can do without the above heavy-drain items, a much smaller portable generator might be the answer. For years we have used an old 400 watt Honda portable that stows nicely in the side compartment, along with the tire tools, gas can, barbecue, hoses, etc. On site we take it out and stretch the power cord out to its limit and run it. It has enough power to run the furnace blower and plenty of lights. It's so quiet that you can hardly hear it in the coach. I have no desire for a big Onan-type generator that takes up almost all of the compartment. That storage space is too valuable for other stuff! Harold, #886

LarryAlida

Harold . Thank you for the info on the Honda Gen.
      Larry & Alida  #3233

Martin2

Hello,  I was wondering if anyone has a source to guy Honda generators at discount.  Thanks in advance.    Tom

Tad

Generator built in PRO:  Nice, if you stop to camp and it is pouring down rain and you have a start switch inside.
CON:  Noise, vibration and fumes.  I have a built in 4KW Onan;  we've used it once, in 13 years.  I'd opt for the smaller portable(s), given a choice.

Tad

Generator built in PRO:  Nice, if you stop to camp and it is pouring down rain and you have a start switch inside.
CON:  Noise, vibration and fumes.  I have a built in 4KW Onan;  we've used it once, in 13 years.  I'd opt for the smaller portable(s), given a choice.