News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Baffled by Electrical Problem

Started by bigray, September 11, 2004, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

When I'm connected to shore power my outlets work fine; however, when I disconnect shore and run the generator my small digital clock does not come on but my 120 v electric fan comes on but goes very very slow.

I had a blown GFI fuse which I replaced. How do I trouble shoot this? I just finished installing a new frig so I hope my converter isn't shot.

Conrad

You didn't mention what the voltage is when on the generator.  Check that first.  A GFI "fuse".  Never heard of that before.  

GFI's on 120VAC line usually have a 'test' and 'reset' button.  A GFI outlet should be the first one in the circuit.  All other outlets 'on that circuit' should be downstream.  In other words, when any device 'on that circuit' causes a trip condition ALL devices on the circuit will be without power.  A trip condition is observed when the 'reset' button is pushed out from the faceplate.  

GFI's open the circuit within a few cycles of a second.  Circuit breakers and fuses require a heat buildup before openning.  The heating due to current overload can (and will) take substantially longer than the few cycles that a GFI operates on.  Usually less than 1 second but then there are 60 of those cycles in one second.

bigray

Thanks for the reply Corad. I cranked the genny this morning and everything is fine. I had a few appliances own when I fired the genny up yesterday so perhaps that's what caused the problem.

I don't know how it is that some 120v power was getting to the fan when the GFI fuse was blown. Well as long as she working now.

I just bought a volt meter to make sure I'm getting the right voltage.

handyman

Hay Ray I know this sounds dumb but do you have you power cord pluged into the box where the cord comes out thats the way mine works to run off the gen I have to plug the cord into the elec plug but mines a after market job so don't no about yours

bigray

Yea mine was plugged in. I think because I had a radio, clock and refrig plugged in when I fired up the genny things went bonkers.

It seems to work fine now. Keep your fingers crossed for me!