News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Started by Shayne, May 16, 2002, 08:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

I have a cracked right side exhaust manifold on my Clipper. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for replacement?  Or is it search the junk yards for a new one?

Thought about headers, but have heard they can cause it to run hotter (not a good thing) and that they can be problematic due to the high heat and warping and such?

Just looking for suggestions so I can get back on the road.  
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Jerry Karnes

Took my off and took it to a machine shop and had them to weld it up and re-surfaced.  Had that butterfly gadget taken out and welded up the holes therea also.  Working fine now for two years.

phjak

I had David Thorley headers put on several years ago at Battleground muffler in Battleground WA.
I got tired of the all too frequent hassles of dealing with the cracked manifolds, so after having the headers put on would not even think of going the other way.  The installation has to be done properly and the instructions have to be followed precisely, especially the followup torqueing.  Don't expect any improvement to gas mileage though, because it won't happen.  I experienced more power and have not had to deal with manifold problem since.  If there was more heat, I didn't notice it.  I just made sure the plugs, wires and other items were positioned properly and well protected.  I had a geared starter installed at the same time which is one of the best improvements I have made to my rig.