News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Thorley Headers

Started by Jerry Karnes, March 28, 2002, 09:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Karnes

Thinking of replacing old headers, with Thorley headers.  Where is the best place to get them?  Are they worth the money?  Will they help cool down engine?  Are they difficult to install?  I've noticed them in J.C.Whitney, are these the ones I need?  Thanks for any help!

RYBKA

Karnes,
I have Thorley headers on my 79 440.  They came from a local speed shop, and they work great.  But the heat was significantly greater under the dog house, and around the immediate undercarriage.

In fact my speedometer cable, starter cable, and some other wiring got melted and had to be replaced!

However, with the installation of header jackets, the dog house heat was greatly reduced.  By rerouting and then covering the nearby cables with heat reflective metal tape, the melting problem was cured.  We also installed ceramic high heat plug wires.

Remember the entire exhaust system will have to be rebuilt.  So pay attention to undercarriage clearances.  My mufflers were too large, and placed a little too close to the floor, resulting in all of the rust proofing being burnt off.

vty, RYBKA #3279