News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Need Carburator

Started by Ruben, March 29, 2004, 09:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruben

Anybody knows where I can get a Thermoquad Carburetor for my 77 Clipper?
Has anybody replaced theirs and want to sell me the old one?
The previews owner replaced it with a Edelbrock and tossed the original. I'm trying to  recondition my 77 Clipper as close to original as possible.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ruben

Den

I may have one, I'll take a look this weekend.

Dennis

junebob

Ruben-
Thermoquad Carbs. - There are several articles on this web sight concerning ThermoQuads and Replacement carbs.     Also in the older news letters there is a wealth of information on the subject. I personally am an advocate of a PROPERLY PROFESSIONALLY REMANUFACTURED Thermo quad. Other than newer racing equipment, properbly prepared units, I know of none of the substitutes that will work better than the origonal QUAD.     Bob  # 10

Ruben

Thanks everybody, but I've already found one through Dave at www.thermoquads.com. Dave seems to be very competent and knowledgeable on thermoquads.
Best regards
Ruben

cat

Hi Ruben #456

If you get a rebuilt TQ from Dave's, Please let us know how satified you are.  A stock rebuild using your core is $175.00 and he claims a possible increase of, Gulp!, 15 horsepower and 2/3 mpg increase.  That's a mighty claim.  Again, please let us know.  (The heck with the hp.increase, I'd be happy with the mileage gain.)

junebob

Thermoquads.
Dave at thermoquads .com sounds to good to be true.Hopefully this is not the normal "If it's to good to be true,IT IS "    situation.We on the websight are waiting anxiously on this one.Bob #10

Horst

Hate to pile on the "negative" karma here - but an increase in 2 to 3 miles per gallon, AND at the same time an increase of 15 horsepower is virtually impossible without EXTENSIVE adjustments to other parts of the engine/drivetrain - and even then, in my humble opinion - highly unlikely - unless the unit was running horribly, and only getting 5 or so miles a gallon (I've seen em that bad folks...) well then an increase in horsepower and mpg in the range claimed by this rebuilder are probably attainable.

But to take a 440 Dodge that is running good, and getting 7 to 8 mpg, and say that after this rebuild it will get it 9 to 11 mpg - and increased horsepower - I have trouble with that - physics don't add up.

On another note - my Edelbrock carb is FAR superior to my OEM Carter - which was a two barrel - and the jets on those Carters are huge - so you burn a lot of gas simply idling. On my Edelbrock - the primaries are smaller and more eficient - so if you cruise easy and stay out of the secondaries - you're mileage is indeed much better - in my case about 1.5+ mpg improvement overall.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Den

I just had to give this one a try, since I had the stocker kicking around. Will let you know. Dave is rebuilding as we speak.

Dennis

Tyler Hoodenpyle

JuneBob, have you had any work done on Thermoquad in the Portland, OR area?  I live in Vancouver and don't know of any around...

Tyler
ACOC #3441

Ruben

First report on my new carburetor.
I received the carburetor a week after the day Dave promised it.
Installed it today, and run great! all I had to do was adjust the idle down a little bit. So far it's running so much better than the old carburetor, with plenty of power and no hesitation. I'll report later on road performance and mileage.
Ruben

Ruben

After 1,123 miles using 142 gallons, my rig is getting very close to 8 miles to the gallon.
I can tell you I'm Happy, not only with the gas mileage, but with the performance. It climbed so much better than before.
I don't know what Dave did to this carburetor, but I'm really happy with my Clipper now.
I think Dave's claims have some merit!

Horst

Thanks for the report Ruben.
8 mpg is pretty darn good for a 440 Clipper  -  with the 4.11 rear end and the weight we carry around - you'll be hard pressed to improve on that without gear splitters, etc.
How fast do you typically cruise on the freeway?
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Den

I should have my DAVE'S carb back this week, and hopefully installed this weekend.

Den

P.S= Are gear splitters really that great ? :?

Horst

There's arguments both for and against them.
You'll have to drive your Clipper about 72,000 mostly highway miles to get a "return" on your investment. This is an in my head, very rough estimate, based on:
-Gas - $2.00/gal
-Gear Splitter from Gear Vendors (www.gearvendors.com) - about $3,800 (the unit, tax, installation)
-An improvement of 1.5 miles per gallon at highway speeds

That being said - if I had the money - and I was taking my Clipper on my dream "see the USA" journey, and there will be many days where I'd be logging 400-500 miles per day on our nation's great highways - heck yeah I'd get one! Not so much for the mpg gains - but for the RPM drop of 22% at the same speed - saves a bit of wear and tear on the drive train (although this is in fact a point of contention, because you move out of the sweet spot of the torque curve, etc. - some of the gear-heads here will comment on this I'm sure.)
In any case - you would drop about 600rpms - so if you're normally cruising at about 3000rpm on the freeway - now you're cruising at 2400rpm or so - quieter, smoother, more relaxing. Also, the "extra" in between gears (1.5, 2.5) are great in certain hill conditions - both going up and coming down.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

Horst

correction - you'll have to drive your Clipper 100,000 to get a return on your investment (I did the origianl calculation based on a 2mpg improvement - but Gear Vendors claims only a 20% improvement in mpgs - so at 8mpg for a Clipper - a 20% improvement is 1.6mpg - which I rounded off to 1.5.

I'd still like one though!
Horst
ACOC  #2961