News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

1978 Dodge AMCL, Power Steering Pump replacement

Started by satorizero, September 13, 2013, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

satorizero

Hello.
My power steering pump has a huge leak in it, and leaks out all the fluid when I drive.
Planning to just remove the thing and buy a new one...
Should be about $40?

How do I do it?
Do I just remove the hoses and the belt (drain the liquid in a pan), bolt the new one on and reattach the belt and hoses and refill fluid and thats it?
Thanks

retrorob

You pretty much have the replacement procedure. One thing I always do, when you replace the pump, don't hook up the return line from the steering to the pump. Put it in a jug, fill the pump and start the engine. Turn the steering back and forth. This will flush out any contaminants that are in the steering box. You don't want to pump the crud in the box right in your new pump.

satorizero

Oh awesome, just the kind of tips Im looking for, thanks man! Ive never replaced one before, so I guessed the procedure right :D

<3

Clipper Joe

Hey Satorizero & Retrorob,

Well Said in your Posts, These Are The Tips That Helps Other Members,
I Have Changed Many Pumps & Also Master Brake Cyl. & Do The Same Thing & Pre Fill Them First,
Also, Have Found For a Novice Mech. It's Easier To Remove Pump & Bracket & Replace Old one  with New On a Work Bench So they Can Change Part easier in Front of Them.

Satorizero  do you have a Double or Single Pulley on Your Power Steering Pump?
There Are Some Post on Forum it is Best to install A Double one.
I Think Ford Used a Double one off Its Old Vans. You may have to get it from Wrecking Yard They a not Sold Through Ford Dealerships any Longer, I Have a Double one on My 1977 Dodge 440, I bought @ Dealer many Years ago & Bought a Spare in Case.
I think you may be able to find one online E-Bay.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

satorizero

Ok ClipperJoe finally got to this, getting pics and such.

It seems to be a single pulley...
Why use a double?

The mess it makes.

Hank Jourdin

Satorizero,
     It's better to have a double water pump / power steering pulley setup than a single. I have just been through this change over. I had problems pulling steep grades, could not tach over 2400 RPM's or the belt would slip and start smoking. Had I stayed on it hard it would have broken the belt. Then I would have been sittin on the side of the road with an overheated motor and No power steering!! The change over is not hard, but it does require a couple of special tools. If I were you, I would go to Auto Zone or another good parts store and purchase a complete pump with oil reservoir already installed. I have not seen them come with a pulley already installed. Maybe you could get lucky and find one, but I doubt it. Make sure you have a double water pump pulley and the extra pulley groove on the crank shaft pulley. The new pulley for the power steering you can get on Amazon, it is a Doorman Pulley P/N 300-125 double belt pulley, you'll need a pulley replacer tool, also through Amazon it is an OTC P/N 7005. The pulley's press fit on and off. If you want to remove the pulley off your old pump you will need a special puller to remove it. I'm sure you can find that on Amazon also. The new double belt pulley just presses back on the pump shaft so the pulley is square across the front pump shaft and it should line up perfectly, Make sure you get 2 new matched belts, double check belts at the store for length, making sure they are exactly the same length, they may have the same Part number on the new belts, but they can be just enough different so one belt is tight and the other one loose. Save yourself a trip going back to the store to exchange the belts!!  Measure both belts with a belt gaging tool . I learned the hard way !!  Good Luck ! Hope this has helped you Hank OUT!

Clipper Joe

Hi Hank & Satorizero,
Well Stated Hank, A Double Pulley Is The Best Way, The Alignment has to be Dead On You Can Use A Straight Edge Ruler Or 1 1/2" Trim Wood. Matched Belts A Must, also Note: Do Not Force Tightening.
Use Belt Tension Gauge Or Check Flex With Hand, Better To Be A Smug Loose Than Overly Tight, Will Reck Pump Or Belts. Trail & Error :-[

Hank, Many Years Ago I Got My Pulley From The Local Ford Dealer In Bay Area Of Northern California.
Got Part # From Bob Chaney. he said they used Double Pulleys from Early Ford E350 Vans.

I Special Ordered Them Out Of Ford In Canada. I Have A Spare Just in Case.

Were Did You Get Dormon  Part # ?? Did They Just Start Making Them? Thats Great To Know.

We Need To Try And Get A List Of These New Part Numbers For These Old Vans & Clippers 1973- 1980
It Would Be Great To Have A Data Base On This Web Site For Clipper Owners To View>>>>

Also Old & Deleted Amer. Clippers That May Have Met A Mis Fortune, to Get Interior Parts Also...

I'M Will Make A Small List Of My Spare Parts, Since I Have Removed & Updated A lot On Our 1977 Amer. Clipper, Ie; Power Center, Shocks, Fridge RM66E,Old Pull Down Curtain Roller Rods, I Also Have A Complete Spare 3800 Watt Generac Gen-set., A/C Coleman Shroud Etc.

Hope This Helps,

Joe

ACOC#3749

Hank Jourdin

clipper joe,
       I just did the change over 2 weeks ago. I listed the P/N in my post, They have plenty of them in stock, and of course they are made in China, but made very well !!  That pulley fit an early Ford  Van 1963 or so. The pulley runs about 32.00 bucks with shipping. Works very well, soloved all my belt slipping problems !! By the time your done you'll spend a 100 bucks or so, new belts, pulley, new high pressure power steering hose, return hose,and fluid. I put a small oil cooler on the return line, works well ! I spent 4 years completely rebuilding my Clipper, from bumper to bumper inside and out . Knowing what I know now I would have never gotten into it!!  But it's done now and I'm going to enjoy it !!  Good Luck guys !!  Hank out!

Clipper Joe

Hi Hank,
That Sounds the right way to Update Power Steering System.

It looks like you have Done what I have with our 1977 Dodge 440 Rear Kitchen.
I Bought it from 2nd Owner. He did not service or repair much. I got it in 2000 or 2001.
I have Gone Through Almost every Part to bring it back to a Proper State, that This old Clipper Deserve. I rebuilt, Engine Completely new Carb, High Output oil pump, Rv Cam Shaft, Installed Extra Duty 4 Core Rad, rebuilt 727 Transmission, add Haden cooler,
Re did Generac Generator unit, Added 2ea. New 6 Vdc Golf Cart Batteries, With Disconnect Switch, Rebuilt Front  & Rear Brakes, Serviced Dana Rear End , Added Air Bags on Rear & And Replaced all Shocks With Bilstein Heavy Duty 9000 lb Shocks.

Did a lot of on inside Interior, Removed Carpet & Added Stone Looking Plank Flooring.
New Progressive Dynamic Power Center & Transfer Switch,
New Roof A/C Shroud, Fantastic 12Vdc Fan With Rain Covers , New Updated Escape Hatch.
Added Side & Rear Back up Camera's, new Wheel Master Wheel Covers.

I Painted Cab & All Stripes on Clipper, Have Done Many More Upgrades,
Now Hope for A lot Of Safe Trips in Clipper Wilson That's What I Call Him..

Hank, Don't know if I Would Tackle A Project this Large Again, Have Also Learned How Well Built These Clippers Were Made.. Ivr Perch, Sure Did a Great Job!!
I Know I would not sell it. Wish I had a better Shape one to start Restoring it.

We'll Ramble long Enough,

Thanks again for Info on Power Steering, I May Work on Front End Idler & Ball Joints Next.
Have you Done Yours?

Joe

ACOC#3749

Hank Jourdin

Joe Clipper,
    No my ball joints and idler shafts were cherry, didn't have to touch them other than new grease boots. One thing I did was installed a Gear Vendor's over/drive so you have 6 gears instead of three. Changed to 15" wheels with 31" tall tire's. It will cruise down the free way at 65 mph turning 2200 rpm's . I haven't gotten a good check on gas milage yet. Should be able to take steep grades in 3rd gear now that my belt problem has been solved. Yes, I have a back up system for just about everything that could go wrong, I carry enough spare parts, hoses & belts just in case ! If you go back through some of my old posts there are picture's of my rig and some of my street rods in there somewhere. Hank Out

Clipper Joe

Thanks Hank for Update,
Can you Post Model # Of Your Gear Vendor That Sound great,
I Have A 1977 Dodge Clipper, Will it Work With Torque Flite 727
Long Shaft?
Also How Does It Shift? Is It Vacuum or Mech. Lever?
I Have a Borg Warner On My 1930 Ford Model A
Has 3 Gears High 3 Gears Low or Compound.

Would Like to Know If It Will Help
Mileage The Best So Far with About 700 Miles On Rebuilt Engine Is 7.2 MPG.

Does Is The Cost  Much?

Have To Ask, Have To Budget, You Know Wife Thing :(

Thanks again,

Joe
ACOC#3749

Hank Jourdin

Clipper Joe,
     Just google Gear Venders and you can see what they offer. Yes they have a unit for long tail shaft 727 trans, thats what I have. If I had to do over I would have gotten the short tail shaft. They cost about 3 grand . Plus shorting the drive shaft with new u-joints 150.00 . Hank OUT!

Clipper Joe

Thanks Hank,

I Will Check It Out.

Has It Improved Your Gas Mileage Much?

Joe
ACOC#3749

Hank Jourdin

Clipper Joe,
     I'm sure it has but I don't know for sure what the number really is . I need to check the milage, but figuring the motor is turning way less rpm's than it used to, I'd be guessing ! The rear end gear is 4.10 and it used to have a 28" tall tire, so to 31" tall tire with the overdrive makes a lot of difference in the rpm's the motor turns, The motor is a .030 over bore 440, changed to a steel crankshaft with an RV cam. Added a set of Doug Thorley exhaust headers into a tuned dual muffler and out with 3" exhaust pipe. Also I use a total lock up torque converter and Edelbrock torguer aluminum intake manifold, with the stock Thermo-quad . Seems to have plenty of Oats , Hank OUT!

Clipper Joe

Hank,
Thanks for Info,

Did you buy Headers Years ago?
I Have been Looking For a Good Part #
Of a Set
Do You Have The Part #?

And are They Ceramic?

Seems like Your 440 is Ready For A Good Drag Race.
You Have all The Power You will Ever Need For A Big Pull.

How do you Keep It Cool, Do You Run Aux Fan?

Joe
ACOC#3749