News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Non Clipper Dodge question

Started by Horst, January 22, 2011, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

Need some ideas guys......
My 78 dodge truck, 1/2 ton, slant 6, 225cu in.
Did a major tune-up, replaced carb with new/rebuilt one, new coil, plugs, wires, etc., etc.

Runs great.......BUT......got 8.9mpg!!! in around town driving on the first mileage check since major tune-up - what the heck!!!

This truck always got 15/16 in town and 20 on the highway - even when neglected for months at a time!
I checked PVC - ok, the distributor advancing properly, carb functioning properly, heat riser moving freely, fuel pump not leaking externally or into the crankcase.............but...........I do smell gas....but I can't find the source of the smell!!! Making be nuts. Seems to be coming from under the rig - but I checked tank - and not leaking (at least not that i can see) then the smell goes away....then after it's been running for a while.....and I turn it off..........the smell comes back....not from engine compartment either....grrrrggghh!!!!
Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Maybe someone has been stealing my gas at night??
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

pop427

Horst, Make sure the the EGR valve and system is working properly. The ECS is the first place I would look at for a gas smell. Look at the vacuum hoses and make sure they are hooked up the same way they were before and in good shape. How does it run as far as power and pulling go? Why did you do the major tune up? Having tuned up hundreds of slant 6 mopars I would look at everything that you did if it ran good before. Like my mother used to say " last one to touch it is responsible for it".
Doug Odom

19julien59

Didn't some of these vehicles have a "gas vapor filtration canister" (not sure of the full name) that can get saturated and mess things up...as well as smelling? 

Horst

Thanks for the responses guys- I found it (finally)

Not sure what it is - hoping just a cracked hose or line - but it is leaking at the top of the tank, where the sending unit and all the lines come in - only leaks when running - so it's happening when the fuel pump is pulling gas.

There is a 1 inch gap between the cab and the bed on the truck - and over the years all kids of leaves, pine needles, etc. dropped in there and collected - right where all those fittings are, on top of the gas tank - thus when it leaked - all that stuff soaks up the gas and prevents it from running down the side of the tank.
Anyways - I blew it all out and now I can feel gas up there after the truck is running......just can't quite see/feel exactly where it's coming from.........

so - looks like I'll be dropping the tank.......like that Jets linebacker said....."can't wait!"

(actually, I'm not looking forward to this job - I'm off to a rough start - can't even siphon the gas out of the tank - two  sharp turns and too long a feed before the filler hose finally gets into the tank - none of my siphon hoses reach/work....grrrggh!)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.