News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

HUMAN PINBALLS

Started by blair, August 08, 2010, 07:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blair

Wow - what a great resource the Simple Machines Forum is.  I love how helpful everyone is in this forum.  After years of contemplating RV's vs Trailers vs Tents, my wife and I finally purchased a 1978 American Clipper.  It runs great and would be ready to take us on our first camping trip if we could figure out a way to safely buckle our two children, ages 4 and 2, in.

That leads to the purpose of this thread.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions regarding adding seat belts to the dinette sofa's, etc?  I have done some initial research and with all the DOT regulations it seems like my safest bet is to take into a dealer and have them complete the job?  Although I am normally the type that likes to do the work myself?

Blair

prophetdaniel2

ahoy blair! what state are you in? i just went to wallyworld and bought some lap belts, 4 of them. then bolted them to the dinnette seats. for my youngest, his carseat gets the passenger seat up front. but im in alaska, much less restriction (more freedom) than say california... its more for keeping the kids in check than as an actual safety measure....which the clipper was not designed to provide.

prophetdaniel2

in fact, i tend to think of a clipper ride more like a motorcycle ride in terms of safety....just bigger!

blair

Hi Prophet,

Hmmm, a motor cycle only bigger?  It is starting to sound alot like ice climbing as well - you use ice screws but you never want to test them - same with the seat belts right?   I did think of that option, however ideally I would like to find a solution that would actually protect my kiddos in the event of an accident - not that I am planning on having one but you know what I'm saying.  Thanks for the feedback.

Blair

caninecaravan

I had a seat belt installed on the dinette seat with it anchored to the wood underneath. You then need to drop and remove the table because in the case of an accident, the table would jam into their stomach and might cause a real big problem. Their is a sign on the wall that says, you should not be sitting at the table while the vehicle is in motion. Good luck
canine caravan ACOC #3552

prophetdaniel2

hmmm.... then maybe the passenger side couch is the best bet for seatbelts. no matter which way you look at it, it seems to be a compromise. kinda sounds like the clipper was only intended for a driver and a single passenger.

jon

My Clipper has a sticker right by the table that sais "no passangers while vechile is in motion". But I put my kids in there anyway. Ages 13 to 8. I only go 12 miles to our favorite spot.. Seat belts or not if you get in a wreck with that thing it would not be good. The shell is only fibergalss its not gonna stop anything from comming through the wall. Especally if you get t-boned. I dont mean to scare anyone but I was on the fire dept and seen some bad sh*t. Most of the time I have the kids ride in a seprate vehicle.

John Eversoll

Hi Blair, -- John  here,,  we have the 77 440 rear kit.

I have the swivel captains chairs and dinett.. I did pretty much the same

with ours..  Pep Boys and bolted them in the dinett seating and the captains

chairs were bolted in the 3/4 wood cover for the generator..  Have never had a

problem with them..  Real easy!!!!   Just pust the easy button"

John

John Eversoll

Hey there Blair,  Hows it going???

How did ya make out with the seat belts...???

They weren't that hard I am sure..

Take care, John