News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Onan Generators "Eureka"

Started by Hank Jourdin, April 05, 2010, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry,   Back in Jan. 15th I had a generator question for you, and I found the answer.  That solenoid up in front is a continious run solenoid with a relay to engage it. That solenoid connects the engine battery together with the house battery incase the house battery is to low to start the generator. I could not understand why I could start the genset from inside the rig but not at the start/stop switch on the genset. You could push the stop button inside or on the genset and it would stop, yet the start rocker switch on the genset would not start it. GOT IT FIGURED OUT YET?  Well it turns out that the onan starter solenoid looks just like a Ford 3 Wire type solenoid and someone had changed it out with a Ford solenoid. They work totally opposite of each other a Onan solenoid has as enternal ground Ford does not. I changed solenoids and it starts and stops as it should . But to lay both solenoid side by side they look alike, but are totally different. So anyone with start problems make sure to use factory Onan parts. Auto parts will not work. Head ache over!!! Hank Out

JerryT

Hi Hank and congrats on the solved mystery. I use the golf cart continuous duty relay's, they look just like Ford but are heavy duty. I tried to use some lawn mower starter relays for my extra back-up lights but I smoked them in about one minute. I agree with you that the right parts DO make a difference ;)
JerryT

jon

I dont go very far with my Clipper and never have used the generator or the house battery But, I wanted to get everything figured out incase i ever needed to.

SO if the house battery is connected to the engine battery via the solenoid the clipper engine will charge the house battery even tho the generator is not running?

This also explains why when I was cleaning up and accidentally touched the cables for the house battery together I got lots of sparks. After I got lots of sparks there is no longer any juice going to the house battery cables. I suppose I fried the solenoid. Even with no house battery installed I hit the start button just to see what would happen and the engine turned over slowly.

I had this clipper given tome after it sat over 5 years. Its my first RV im having a fun time trying to figure everything out. There is no manual. I just go trial and error. I really have no idea what im doing when it comes to the "house" The mechanical stuff is a breeze. If i cant do it i have friends that are mechanics.

John Eversoll

Ok Hank, Now I have  question for you...  I don't have a gen...  But I think the selonoid

is bad can I use a ford sel....????  It looks just like the one bolted on the front of the fire wall....John

Hank Jourdin

Hey John, Are you talking about the starter relay on the fire wall for for the engine starter,or the continous duty starter solenoid for the genset. If it is the starter relay I would use a Chrysler starter relay. The genset solenoid works backwards of a Ford solenoid. Stick with the Chrysler part.  Hank Out.

John Eversoll

Hi Hank, I beleive it is the one that charges the batt for the coach...

What do you think.....  John

Hank Jourdin

Hey John, That is a continous duty solenoid, it is made all in metal, and your right it is to switch to the house battery in case they need charging or your genset will not start off the house battery. The Ford will work but under continous use it will fail, they get hot and it will not hold up. Get  a heavy duty continous solenoid they only cost a 25.00 not much more than a Ford type.  Hank Out!

John Eversoll

Hank, I am so glad that you replyed....  Now do I ask for a chrysler selonoid

or should I go to a dealer or where do I go to get one of those buggers....

John

Hank Jourdin

Hey John, Just goggle or yahoo it or what ever magic words you know until you see a discription and picture of a continous heavy duty solenoid then you will know what you need. It is not a Chrysler part. All it does is connect the 2 batterys together with a flick of a switch. Like I said the Ford setup is not the one to use. The all metal solenoid is the one you want.  Hank Out!

John Eversoll

Thanks Hank!!!!!  I'll give it a try

John out

prophetdaniel2

it sound like your are talking about the battery isolator. do a google search for a cole hersee smart battery isolator. i have an older style one from the same company that works fine. if i were to upgrade id go with the smart one.

John Eversoll

Dan, I found one but there was No order form....???

I am sure it is the charging line for the coach batt..  But where do you get them.

Thanks, John

prophetdaniel2

hmmm....i bookmarked it at home, but its tough to search here at work. got another week and two days....

prophetdaniel2

o i found one on ebay motors....149$ :o

Hank Jourdin

Hey John, Go to google type in Tekonsha 7000-S see if this is what your looking for.Hank Out!