News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Looking for Ideas to level motorhome

Started by Airman1120, November 03, 2002, 01:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airman1120

I'm looking for a way to level my clipper once at the camp site. I'm currently using bottle jacks, two in the front and two in the back with stacks of wooden pads to keep the jacks from sinking into the ground and to raise the jacking surface.
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

LarryAlida

Joe. We use the bright orange block kit. They look like big lego blocks.RV supplies have them.I'm sorry I don't have the name.Stack them according to the directions.I usually only have to use them on the front. And put a couple of old trailer screw jacks under the back to make it solid.

Airman1120

Thanks for the suggestion Larry and Alida. I guess that I'm looking to cut down on carrying all the wooden pads. As you probably already know there's not a lot of storage available and those pads take up lots of room as well as being kinda heavy. I've seen sissors jacks under lots of trailers but I don't know if they would work for me.

Den

Joe,
I installed scissor jacks this year, love em to death. Should of done it sooner. If she wasn't all covered up I'd get you a few pics.

db

Airman1120

Thanks Den,
I am interested in hearing more about your jacks. Any details you could give me like what brand, how much do they cost, where can I get them, how and where are they installed.
You can post here or at my email
" Airman1120@AOL.com "
                            Thanks again,
                                 Joe

Shayne

When we bought our Clipper, the previous owner had already installed 'jacks'.  Ours are kinda like half a scissor jack. When you first start cranking it folds down, then starts lifting, though you can't lift much but they do a great job at fine tuning the level and making everything nice and solid.  No more swaying when I roll over in the top bunk.

Ours are welded to the chassis under each door up front, and also welded to the bumper supports under the rear.

I still use the blocks to get close to level, then use the jacks to tweak it so it's just right.  Finally figured out that the jack handle will actually fit in my Makita  
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Den

Joe,
I purchased them at Camper world. You get two pieces (jacks) in a box. Just watch for there sales, got mine for 50.00 a set, on sale for 70.00 and used my 20.00 coupon for spending over 50.00. They work great should of done it sooner. If it warms up I'll uncover the rear and take a few pics. Here is the link, actually on sale now for 80.00. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=5&subOf=117,77,33&skunum=6540

db