News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

new clipper owner here

Started by nuckles, January 25, 2010, 01:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuckles

Hi everyone, I got a 21 ft. bunk bed model 78 american clipper! its got the big 440 in it. Most of everything works well, except the water pump leaks and the fridge did not work on electricity, but i havent tried the propane yet. I have been doing some updating on the inside like painting and i had some wood flooring laying around that i am putting down now. Its starting to look pretty nice! I am new to this rv world so I am sure that I will have many questions that I hope you all will help me out with. My first quick questions are my rv has air bags on it. Did the rv come standard with these and does anyone know how much I am suposed to pump them up too? What kind of gas milage am I gonna get? The guy I got it from told me he got 10 ml to the gallon, but that seemed high to me. I have a onan 4.0 genni did they come with these or was it added? And what kind of towing capacity do I have?   

thanks for the help, hope to here what you guys think.          nuckles

John Eversoll

Hello Nuckles,

Personally I would say you are a very lucky guy in getting the 440!!!!

I have a 77 with the rear kitchen.  anf the 440.  water pump is very
easy to replace..
We are a nice group of guys that TRY very hard to help with what ever problems you might have....  I myself only get at the best  10 mpg.   THE WORST- 5mpg.But ya know something
It is worth every cent...   We have been to Iowa with our rig and Arizona and up to Oregon
Vegas, Sovang, and Washington..  Ya meet real great folks.
As  far  as the fridge goes check to see if the thing is even plugged in....The outside
door behind the fridge----  check to see if it is plugged in to the outlet that is there.
Check all the fuse and breakers.  Horst, Jerry, PD2, and others are here to help ya with your questions...Have a great time with your find!!!  John E.  :) Hi there, I was going to ask where you are located  Plus, the trans is most likely a 727"  the easiest to rebuild. Plus the 440 is a real
work horse.  I had mine rebuilt, it cost me $1,500. and everything is New!!
You can get the "complete rebuild kit for the trans for $90.00"  Take care!! John

clockwork

Welcome nuckles,
Not sure if the air bags were a factory option or not, but I keep mine in the 40-80lb range depending on load. They make a good bit of difference in side to side movement when parked as well. Gas mileage for me has been 7-8 mpg overall, better if you can keep her in the 55 mph range. The onan 4.0 was a factory option- make sure you 'exercise' it under load for at least 30 minutes every couple of months to keep it running well. No towing is recommended without  a good frame extension welded in place. If you have a rainy day or insomniac night, peruse the the forums from the beginning and cut/paste the ones interesting to you  and you will have begun your own little bible of Clipper enlightenment ( and some really cool mod ideas).
Good luck,

dave

nuckles

Thanks for the help guys, it was pretty cool finding this sight cause i had know idea were i was going to get information on this rig. This rv is residing here in az with me for now. I had the fridge all pluged in and it wasnt turning over and then i found an in line fuse that was all melted, so i took the fuse and bypassed it just to see what would happen, but nothing. I heard the amonia can dry up in these things, is that true andif so can i fix it? I have a hitch on the rv that has been welded on to the frame it looks like it was done along time ago but it is definetly solid, is that what your talking about? The rv runs well it has 93000 miles on it and shifts well and has good power so hopfully she holds up for a long time! my father n law is a mechanic and has a shop but unfortunetly the rv is just a little to big for his lift. There does seem to be a lot of wires under the hood that might not even do anything but i am not ready to start pullin stuff out and have a miss hap. I think my carb has been replaced cause its pretty shiny compared to the rest does any one know what the stock is.
I am goin to try and get some pics up soon so yall can see what i am workin with.

thanks nuckles

John Eversoll

Heyyyyyy,  Knuckles,

The carb that I have on my 440 is  a  Thermaquad" that is wat they came with

I have had probloems with mine even after having it rebuilt.  If you could get a Holley

or a Carter  that would probably be better,, The Thermaquad has a plastic body and warps after age and the heat...  I was just lucky to find another in a wrecking yard and had it rebuilt.  Now the floats are stuck and will hae my good old friend come by and look at it for a twelve pack and a rebuild kit.  Check to see wo has wat and how long and hae they ever had trouble with theirs..... Woow!  that was a lot to say in one hand full.....
We will help ya with what ever your question ....John

caninecaravan

My clipper came with the rear air bags and I understand from the Bay Area club members that these were standard. I keep mine in the 65# range and that seems to have made a difference in the ride. I get about 9 miles a gallon but like its said you have keep it at 55 mph. I have the dodge 440 and my rig is a 78 side kitchen. Thanks for the information on the added 50 gallon gas tank. Will give the info to the mechanic doing the install. Also nuckles, you should join if you haven't the national association. Dues are $30 for the first year and $25.00 there after. Lets you buy stuff for your rig from the national and that is handy. If you are interested, let me know and I will get you an application.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

John Eversoll

Howdy doody, I was under the impression that the dues were 35.00

That is how  MUCH I was told to send in..Did something change???

I just checked, I do have my cancelled check for  35.00...

So unles something has change I would like to know how much to send in

this time....John E.