News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

50 gallon gas tank

Started by caninecaravan, January 20, 2010, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caninecaravan

I want to mount a 50 gallon gas tank to go along with my 36. Any idea where I can get one and how do I tie the two of them together. Do I need some sort of electric switch or can one sender unit work. Appreciate the help.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

John Eversoll

Hey there  K-9C.....
Years ago I did a tank install for my friend.
I installed two tanks..and with that two
switches.  Later I figured out that I wasted money with the two electric
pumps and really only needed one.  If ya sit down ad just think out where you want  the
tanks and where the pump is to be located.  There is a connection that you can work up
for the two tanks to hook to the main line for the pump.

" man it is crazy the things we used to be able to do when we were yougn"

You can do it!!!!    JohnE

Hank Jourdin

87 octane greetings Caninecaravan,   I just did what you are wanting to do. If you need a tank goggle click on Aero Tanks, They can help you or you can get a feel for the cost and amount of work involved to install the extra tank. The way I set mine up is as follows. The stock 36 Gallon tank sets behind the rear end. The extra tank mounts behind that,  a 50 gallon is quite large, I think I would use a 35 to 40 gallon just so it doesn't  hang down so low. Both tanks are vented and the vent lines run back to the fuel filler neck. From the tanks each fuel line is run to a fuel tank change switch ,  2 lines feed in 1 line feeds out to a fuel filter,then feeds to an electric booster fuel pump. The line then goes to the mechanical pump then feeds to a fuel preasure sending unit mounted on the frame then it feeds up to the carb. The stock Chrysler fuel sending units are not compatable with later 12 volt gauges so they need to be replaced, as well as the gauges. I used stewart-warner gauges and sending units.For all the gauge and sending unit quesions goggle click United speedometer,click on the stewart-warner gauage picture, then click on tecnical support, then click on fuel systems all you need to know is there. The fuel filler neck I split to a Y each branching off to tank. between each tank and the filler neck I put an 1-3/4 brass stainless steel ball valve. That way you can fill each tank separately, without the valves it runs fuel into both tanks at the same time.I ran 2 fuel gauges wired full time so I can see at a glance how much fuel is in each tank. I wired 1 switch for the tank switch with a indictor light by each gauge which ever tank is turned on that light tells witch tank you running on. The 36 gallon tank also has a small fuel line running to the generator,that is a separate line. It is set up so that the genset cannot get fuel if the fuel tank is below a 1/2 full, that way when your running the genset you can never run out of fuel to run the 440 motor and get stuck with no fuel in middle of no where.I hope this was some help!!   Good Luck with the rig Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hank, I am concerned about the weight issue.... did you add the weight of 50 gals
to the suspenion????
You might have to beef up the front end and add shocks to the rear for extra support.

I don't know, I would just add another flat twenty gal. tank...

that way you'd have fifty gals...  and that would bea SSI check for me just to fill.Later gater
John

Hank Jourdin

Hey John,  I did beef up the rear frame and air bag setup, along with shocks,also added brass ball valves to control where the gas goes. It came with a 36 And a 50 gallon setup when I bought it form Tod Burke. You can see my clipper picture in camp ground reviews under Tod Burke up in the San Bernardino Mountains. I Have changed a bunch of stuff . But it will hold 86 gallons of 87 octane fuel, and after everthing I have done to improve the gas mileage I'am busting to see what I get for real. Take a look at the mountain pics. First chance a get I'll post some pictures.        Take care, Hank Jourdin

mccammonds

Does anyone know where I can come up with a new original 36 gallon tank for our 821F w/360cc?
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

Hey K-9  caravan,

I did some research and if you type the word Gas tank

in the Computer you will find something.  My best friend
just had a 45 gal "Stainless steel tank made for him for $135.00
They are't realy that expensive..
Take care, John E.

Horst

hi mccammonds
10 years ago I had my mechanic "search" for one (new stock 36gal polypropylene tank) all across the US - and he only found two - forgot where - but they were both well over $600 BEFORE taxes and shipping. Now keep in mind that they probably were not  "new".....rather, they were simply "unused" - a big difference. (the plastic has still aged) I'm pretty sure they quit making those tanks a LONG time ago.
Your best bet is to go to a junkyard (that's where I got lucky - $40 - and it's still works fine)

I keep looking for another one as a spare, - but 70s vans are slowly becoming more scarce at wrecking yards, and that has me slowly getting worried.

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Hi Horst, my daughter and I went to " ALL FORD wrecking yard here in Calif."

And if you are Looking for a Plastic tanki THEY HAVE  them!!!!!

Some where around two or threee hundred diferent shapes and sizes"  John

Hank Jourdin

An 87 octane greeting to you too MCCAMMONDS, Check out Mill Supply Inc. GOOGLE them they have what you want and more, it is a real wish book site. Take look there phone is 1=800=888=5072 good luck Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hi there Horst,  I hear ya about the getting rare part!!!!  I have picked up 4 odometers

in the 70's era.... and every time my daughter and get to go to a wrecking yard I keep my eyes open for dash parts....Maybe I have a garage sale some day......????

By the by I did look into the overhead shelf for my rig in J C Wittney----Nada/ No/
Nine.
Guess I will either have to keep looking or ust make the thing myself.
Last night while putting in muy clutch, I looked at this plastic bag that was on the south end of the Munci.  ?????  thought to myself That can come off--I don't need it anymore---
!!!  "Well, after washing my hair four times I still can smell tthe 90 weight gear oil..

" That's why I put the plastic bag there!!!!! Huh go figure......sigh/////John

prophetdaniel2

MWAHHHAHHAHHHAHHAH! John....I would have done exactly the same thing!!!!
-D

JerryT

Nothing smells like 90# dif oil, and I mean that in a BAD way :'(
JerryT

John Eversoll

I can laugh at myself, "Thats nothing"----  many years ago I was with a good friend
at a local wrecking yard.  Bob wanted the trans  pan off this 68 plymouth.
and I lit up a smoke a few minuets later "Bob" said that he wanted a smoke and aske me to remove the last bolt.   I got under the Plymouth removed the last bolt and figured the
pan would be stuck on.....Are you getting ahead of me yet???

Well the pan came off real easy!!!! and the trans Fluid drenched me!!  I had to ride in the trunk all the way home  5 miles.  We got pulled over as I waived to the officer.
He laughed so hard he just said good bye and I hopped back in the trunk and away we went.
after using half a box of tide laundry soap I finally got clean.  "Me and oil" we mix" :)