News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

transmission adjustment

Started by dreedy650, October 17, 2009, 06:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreedy650

Just wondering if anyone knows about adjusting the bands on the trans (727) mine shifts ok but too quick, i was told to adjust the rod from trans to carb and lengthen it to make it shift later, then to adjust the band on the side of trans but not sure about the one in the pan ??

John Eversoll

Hey dreedy, I really don't have a clue.  I just bought the rebuild kit for 75 bucks and took the whole thing to get rebuilt for 150....
a couple more weeks and back in it goes....
Hey, call Ammco... They might know.. :)John

JerryT

Hi Don
That is correct, the longer the kick down rod the longer it will hold the gear before shifting. On the band adjustment I would hold off till you get the KD rod dialed in and then see how she does.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Jerry saves the day on that one!!!!!!!!! :)John

Hank Jourdin

HELLO DREEDY 650,    TO ADJUST THE  TRANS BANDS FROM THE FRONT OF THE TRANS IS THE 2ND GEAR KICK DOWN BAND THE OTHER BAND IS FIRST AND REVERSE AT THE BACK OF TRANS. YOU NEED TO HAVE THE TRANS PAN REMOVED SO YOU CAN CHECK THE CAP ON THE SERVO  PISTONS THE FRONT SERVO CAP SHOULD BE 1/4 INCH  THATS THE 2ND GEAR KICK DOWN . PULL DOWN ON THE ARM AND SLIP A 1/4"  GAGE BLOCK BETWEEN THE ARM AND PISTON CONTACT. IT ADJUSTS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE, TIGHTENING IT WILL  SHORTEN THE GAP. THIS WILL MAKE FOR A VERY POSITIVE FIRM SHIFT.THE 1ST AND REVERSE BAND ADJUSTS ON THE INSIDE OF TRANS , IT'S GAP SHOULD BE 3/8" ALSO PULL DOWN ON THE ARM TO SEE HOW MUCH GAP THERE IS, TIGHTENING  IT SHORTENS THE GAP. WHILE YOU HAVE THE PAN OFF MAKE SURE TO REPLACE THE TRANS FILTER. TO ADJUST THROTTLE PREASURE LENGTHEN  THE ADJUSTABLE ROD END, SCREW IT OUT A FEW TURNS AT ATIME AND TEST DRIVE , WATCH SPEEDO FOR PROPER SHIFT POINTS, THIS WILL HOLD IT IN GEAR LONGER TO FORCE AND UP SHIFT.

dreedy650

Hank, John, and Jerry, thanks to you all for the great info, the clipper does not shift too bad just a little quick, I am new to this clipper thing but it is a really cool unit. Im fixing it more and more every day. thanks to this good website. I just joined the club and sent my check in . cant wait to get newsletters. ect.     Have a good day.   Don

dboling

Quote from: Don R on October 22, 2009, 07:51:23 PM
Hank, John, and Jerry, thanks to you all for the great info, the clipper does not shift too bad just a little quick, I am new to this clipper thing but it is a really cool unit. I'm fixing it more and more every day. thanks to this good website. I just joined the club and sent my check in . cant wait to get newsletters. ect.     Have a good day.   Don

Not sure what you mean by quick ?
If you mean it shifts at 10 mph and you want it to shift at 15 mph you would need to adjust the fat rod that goes from the carbs throttle to the drivers side of the transmission.

The clipper has a 727 Torqueflite Transmission and it's not uncommon for an RV to have had a shift kit installed in its valve body.
The shift kit will make the transmission shift harder and quicker, which is a good thing, the harder the shift the less clutch slippage, a softer shift would be increased clutch slippage and wear out the clutches faster.

You might check out this site to learn more about your transmission.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html

John Eversoll

You get news letters!!!!!!!! I never have :'(
Well, It's better for me. Less things that get in my way.... :)

dreedy650

dboling,   thanks for the web site, and yes that is exactly what my trans does , shifts approx 10mph and   is a quick shift , seems to shift firm, so thats a good thing. fluid good ect, im goint to service it and should be good to go ...   you guys are great

dboling

Quote from: Don R on October 25, 2009, 07:03:02 AM
dboling,   thanks for the web site, and yes that is exactly what my trans does , shifts approx 10mph and   is a quick shift , seems to shift firm, so thats a good thing. fluid good ect, im goint to service it and should be good to go ...   you guys are great

Since you'll have the pan and filter off to service your trans, you should snug the valve body bolts. I don't know what the torque is on the bolts, but they are not suppose to be real tight.

you should also peen the trans pan bolt holes with a ball peen hammer so the gasket seals better.