News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

shocks

Started by clifton, September 13, 2002, 10:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clifton

hi folks, can anyone tell me what would be the best shocks to install on my clipper?

egibbons

I can't tell you what's best, but I had greatly improved handling installing KYB shocks I purchased from a Riebe's, a local NAPA store. They have a lifetime warrantee, so if you blow a shock on a rough raod, just bring it back and trade it for a new one. I can't tell you the model, because I've sold the Clipper and sent all the receipts with it. They weren't cheap. Good luck.

Den

I was told to go with Bilsteins from other motor home people and haven't regeted it at all. Little pricey but worth the handling.

Shayne

In the process of shopping for shock, mainly front shocks.  There are two different models from just about every manufacturer.  One compatible with a 4,000 pound front axle and one that isn't.

Do the chassis used on Clippers have the 4,000 pound axles or not?

Once I find the right shocks. I'll be posting the part numbers for others to use.  If anyone has part numbers known to work, I would encourage you to do the same.  Note year, seems they changed something in 78 because most that I'm finding are for 78 and newer or 77 and older.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

tomfridley

shayne- the clippers all have the 4000 pound front axle. the vehicle id number begins with f4 indicates this, as it is an over-rated one ton chassis. the standard dodge van one ton[not motorhome] vin begins with b3, the 3/4 ton vin begins with b2, 1/2 ton vin begins b1. the 'f' in the f4 chassis indicates a cab and chassis, not a standard dodge van. these were the ones used for motorhome conversion use only.
quote:
Originally posted by Shayne:
In the process of shopping for shock, mainly front shocks.  There are two different models from just about every manufacturer.  One compatible with a 4,000 pound front axle and one that isn't.

Do the chassis used on Clippers have the 4,000 pound axles or not?

Once I find the right shocks. I'll be posting the part numbers for others to use.  If anyone has part numbers known to work, I would encourage you to do the same.  Note year, seems they changed something in 78 because most that I'm finding are for 78 and newer or 77 and older.

Shayne

Reviving this one from the dead threads....

I FINALLY got around to doing shocks on my Clipper...   Ordered some Bilsteins from http://shox.com  Got all 4 for $297.80 + tax and shipping (they are in El Cajon, Ca) Total was 331.88 delivered to my door.  Which is a far cry better than the $98 each Camping World wanted.  :)

Part numbers!
B46-1401 for Front
B46-1137 for Rear

I installed them tonight.  Rears were pretty easy, hardest part was chipping the undercoating off the upper nuts.  Use a tie down strap or something to tie the shock compressed so you can get it into the bracket. Fronts were not fun though.  The upper bolts had gotten used to their home of 25 years and did not want to come out.  I even sheard off the tip of one of them.  Ended up cutting that shock out with a sawsall, which is what I should have done with the other one too  :)  Getting the rubber bushings in was a bit of a trick, I used a strap and ran it through the bushing, then tied a knot on the strap so it wouldn't pull through.  Then dropped the strap down through the top and out the bottom so I could pull down on it while a friend wiggled the rubber in at the top.  A little grease on the bottom part of the rubber bushing was good too.

Jack the front up to get the front top nuts off, you shouldn't need to remove the wheels. Then put the front up on ramps so you have enough room to drop the shocks through the bottom. Not many jacks will go high enough to do that.

Test drive was good.. ride was a bit firmer, but not too firm.  I have seen some people complain that the Bilsteins are VERY firm. But it still has a comfortable ride.  And no more bouncing, and it doesn't dive so bad on the brakes. I'm a happy camper :)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146