News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Carburetor for Dodge 440 in 24' Clipper

Started by Dennis Riordan, April 26, 2002, 05:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Riordan

Folks,

I am replacing the current carburetor that is installed in my 1980 24' Clipper.  This is a vehicle that is being worked on in Texas and I am in California.  I am told by the repairperson that the current carburetor is a Carter 4 barrel.  He recommends that I replace it with the same model.  

I have read all of the various discussions about Carburetors in all of the past newsletters.  It isn't clear to me what the consensus opinion is on what is the best carburetor to put into this unit.

While I don't want to throw money away, if I knew that a Holley Carb was "better" than a Carter carb, I would be inclined to put in a Holley.

I am interested in any facts anyone has about what they believe is the best carburetor for this vehicle.  It would be helpful if you referred to the EXACT manufacturer's name, Exact Model Number of what is believed to be the best carburetor for this dodge 440.

Thanks,

Dennis Riordan

RYBKA

I have a 1979 Dodge Clipper with a 440, and yes the Carter Carb when rebuilt works great.

However, I am a hot rod fan, so I installed a Endelbrock #EDL-1905, 795 CFM, which is a direct replacement for the Carter.  This thing seems to work better and is engineered to modern standards.  

But do not replace the Carter for just better mileage, cause mine increased by about only 2 MPG if I am lucky.

I could not find a Holley that was a direct replacement, nor with similar CFM stats large enough to supply the 440 with enough air.  

vty RYBKA #3279.

Mark Smith

I have discussed carburetors with many clipper owners, and I believe that the original carter thermoquad is the best for your engine. Most people I've talked to seem to believe this. Have you considered having yours repaired with a parts kit ?  

The disadvantage of changing to another brand is the fuel line will not line up with the carburetor and so you connect it to the carburetor with a hose. This is a VERY dangerous practice for starting fires. If your fuel line does not align, replace the whole fuel line or modify it with metal tubing.  There have been more than several fires that were caused by changing a carter with a holly, and patch the fuel line with a hose. When the hose decays and leaks fuel on the top of the engine, it ignites

chrisz01

I to have the edelbrook carb. So far it has worked well with no regrets. It was installed with the edelbrock performance package when I rebuilt the engine.

Horst

I also switched to Edelbrock (4bl) from the OEM Carter 2bl for my '75, 360 - and definitely have not regreted it, even thought my Carter was only 1 year old.

Did have to make and adjustment (fabrication) to the kickdown rod however.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

EKS

I would be interested in how much of a difference the Edelbrock carbuerator made on mileage, power, and general driveability. The point about not using rubber in the engine compartment is valid but should be easy to get around. I see discussions on headers helping but not heard quantitative details. I am sure they make a difference in power but do they help mileage and driveability.

Thanks in advance for any info.

chrisz01

I have just passed my 2nd smog check since I've installed the edelbrock carb. no adjustments needed to get by. I would highly  recomend this carb. so far.

normy

I bought a direct 50 staytes legal holly 650cfm all the vacum amp and hoses that were on the right side are gone
I have thorley header with 6 foot glasspacks with 21/2 pipes,curved distrib. I can go over Cahoun pass a little over 80 MPH I am up about 9 MPG  but thats because of the Gearvenders overdrive carb cost $406.00 plus 135.00 for dyno tune you can stand right beside them and watch them do there magic.... R E Racing
Serria Hy Lancaster, Ca.  you can park inside there yard they have water and elec. hookups no charge

cat

I hope what I just read from "Norm, member #78"
is a misprint.  80 m.p.h. in a clipper?  No further comment!

Adrian

Which elelbrock carb are people using?
795 cfm with electric choke #1905 which is a direct replacement for the thermo-quad
or
the 600 cfm, square-flange, electric choke #1406 ?
the 1406 is alot cheeper.
Thanks
Adrian

normy

quote:
Originally posted by tiger cat:
I hope what I just read from "Norm, member #78"
is a misprint.  80 m.p.h. in a clipper?  No further comment!

read it again the gearvenders OD makes final gearing 3.20 to 1 instead of 4.11 to 1

Den

Tell me more about this gearvendors thingy...

Plante

Just replaced the Carter Thermoquad with the 600 cfm Edlebrock on my '78 440.  It runs much better and passed smog test.

Plante

I have to update my info - I installed an Edlebrock 750 cfm not a 600 - I think the number was 1410.

normy

quote:
Originally posted by Den:
Tell me more about this gearvendors thingy...

VERY much improved, computer controlled, has a manual and auto switch auto acts like 4 speed auto overdrive except shifts in at 45 mph and out at 20 mph, stops the searching. switch to manual you can split all three gears. 3100.00 out the door Lenwood transmission takes one day route 66 and lenwood rd Barstow. Ca or you can go to factory in san diego 3300.00 installed they have 800 number.before overdrive 60 mph 3100 rpm  800 16.5 tires after 60 mph 2450 rpm picked up 2 mpg ( still onll 9mpg heavy foot )