News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Shoulder harness in the Clipper???

Started by John Eversoll, July 21, 2009, 01:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Since the new Law about seat belts has come into effect.

I relised that My Clipper never had a shoulder harness....

Does this mean that I am going to have to install them????

John ??? :o

Khyron

I don't know about your state, but in NY if you car didn't come equipped with them, you don't have to install them.

My Charger didn't, and I'm not installing them :-P

John Eversoll

Hey K",  I'm out here in Calif.
My 71 Chevelle SS never came equipt with them and
about a year ago I got pulled over and was instructed to have them installed....or pay a $ 178. fine..  Guess what I went and did.
I guess I had better check with DMV or the CHP.  Thanks!!!! John ;)

USNRetired

John, did you ever check with the DMV about the Seat Belts and Shoulder Harness? 
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Yes I did----  sad to say I have to install shoulder harnessssssssssssssss

Just another ay of BIG BROTHER GETTING INTO YOUR SHORTS..

Yea, they made it manditoryDoesn't matter the year they all have to have the harness

Well"? maybe it is for the best....  I just have to get them installed in the Rv now...

Nice talking with ya.....  John

pop427

John, Don't believe the DMV. My son in law is a CHP officer and he told me the dmv don't know anything about vehicle codes. Ask them to show you in the code book the code they are using. First they are not an enforcement agency! If your vehicle did not come factory equipped with a shoulder harness it does not have to have them. If you don't believe me go to the CHP and ask them.        Doug in big ditch

John Eversoll

Try and tell that to the Local smokies!!!!  My Brother in law is a Sherriff Here in Oorange county Ca.
He told me that there is a clause in updating the saftey of every Vehical....  Yea yea yea

I just don't want to get screwed with so I am electing to just install them to avoid any problems some where down the line...

I will just go to the wrecking yard and get a set from a Dodge Van 2009 that ought to satisfy someone....
I have a friemd that was a CHP ntill his accident 10 years ago.  Now retired >

When he comes over the wife ylls Oh God tripple A with  a gun "  Barney gets all

tight about that one but it is so much fun to watch his face!!!!

take care, John

pop427

John, Have your brother in law give you the code number and let me know. I would like to stump my son in law who knows about a thousand numbers by heart and is the top commercial officer in the division. Seeings that he is the one the other officers call to find the right it might be fun.   

Remember your B pillar was not designed or engineered to take the shoulder harness lateral strain from the mount. You could always get a real race car seat belt and shoulder harness set for about $100 new. I have a couple sets around here I would give to you that are in great shape but older than 5 years so I can't use them in my race car.         Doug in big ditch

John Eversoll

Will do Doug, if I see the prick.... 

"You guessed it,  we don't se eye to eye...

Only thing in common is he is married to my sister...

ten years ago he gave me a ticket for walking out of a store with a beer not in a bag...

$ 50 bucks....   The less I see of him the better I like it.... "Smokey the Prick" I call him"

But I will indeed ask Sgt Prick " or have my sis relay the msg to it.....   John   

USNRetired

All of this is fantastic!  I spent 20+ years in the Navy, 16 inch guns to 5inch 50's ... missiles and all that stuff, gotta bigger gun than smokie or the local yokal.  My Brother retired as a cop from Portland Oregon and is no help about the law here in California and I don't feel like fighting them in court.  So, do I violate the integrity of my 1977's frame and try to drill it out in order to install a shoulder harness, or do I fake it with velcro???   Going to put lap belts in the bucket seats, have a party model, in the back and a couple in the bench seats for the table....  but if they are inspected by someone who gives a real damn, I think I'll be in trouble.  But gotta do something to keep the grandkids in place in the event of an accident.  I could use duct tape though.  (also spelled duck tape).  Maybe I'll go to Tijuana and have a friend of a friend fix me up with something that looks legal.
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Hey there Bro, well we do have something in common...

I was in the USCG ,  yea a puddle pirate"

I don't know if you have captains swivel chairs in the back

But I do and I did install lap belts on the bench and the two

chairs....  As far as the harness goes I will just have to live with or with out them

I haven't made my mind up yet....  As it goes I still have some things to get done

Before I can start driving again....   Hey and as one salt to another

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

John

pop427

Make them show you the code you are breaking. They can't write you a ticket without putting the code on it. My son in law says if you can find the code he will send $25 to the American Red Cross in your name. Heck I'll match it and make it $50.       Doug in big ditch

jvarner75

I can't find any reference on retrofitting shoulder harnesses in older vehicles in California.  It's possible that a new law has been put into effect, but as recently as October of 2009 is was not a requirement (http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_13662121).  The 2010 drivers handbook from CA DMV makes no reference to it(http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/seatbelts.htm), and it's not listed in the CHP laws that took effect on January 1st (http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/media/09-44.pdf).

The key point made earlier is that it can't really be done safely in many cars - they just don't have the infrastructure to safely support the weight of impact.  That makes it pretty unlikely that they would try to impose a retrofit requirement.

That being said, certainly the cops would like to be able to see if you're wearing the proper restraints without having to pull you over and look like a fool.  It's also easier to slip on a lap belt after being pulled over without being seen.  Not that a cop would EVER make up a law to justify pulling you over...  If you're ever pulled over in CA for changing lanes on a freeway without your blinker, ask him to give you the code he's "enforcing" (it doesn't exist).  ;)

John Eversoll

Well, my wife and I were driving to Huntington Beach one after noon in my 71 Chevell SS.
told me
We were pulled over by the local PD.  He asked me why I wasn't wearing my shoulder harness....
I told him that the car did not come with one....

He told me That i was being cited for no shoulder harness to the tune of $138..........

I went to court and told the court that the car was not equipt with a shoulder harness.

The Judge informed me that I had to install a shoulder harness in the car

to avoid further citations...  Lesson learned....................

jvarner75

Just out of curiosity...  what was the statute or code violation you were cited for?