News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Extra gas tank...

Started by John Eversoll, July 02, 2009, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

Nice Pics!!
Your rear tank is where I have my generator. How many gallons will both hold? By the looks of the welds those were added latter. The Clipper left the factory undercoated and you can see by the undercoating what's original. I bet you hold at least 80 gallons. The fuel scare of the late 70's might have had something to do with the mod. The first Clippers had the small van tank but Irv had 50 gallon tanks made for the newer Clippers, I read in the old newsletter if you stopped by the Clipper factory he would upgrade an older coach to a 50 gallon tank no charge.
JerryT

dboling

Not sure how many gallons these tanks hold, looks like a LOT.
I bought this a few years ago and just parked it and forgot I owned it, in the mean time I've been making payments to my neighbor. This week I make the final 250. payment and changing the title over. I'll also be moving it to a 30 acre property my spouse and I own in the woods :)

It's about 35 miles to the property so I'll be stopping to fill the front tank, ouch :(
I need to drop the rear tank or something due to it having some water in it.
If I switch to the rear tank the engine and generator but starts dying and it a real pain to get restarted on the front tank.

Maybe after I get my 3/8 fuel check valve, I'll use the generators electric fuel pump to purge the tank. Might be easier than dropping the tank.

John Eversoll

That is nothing like I have ever seen before, my tank is plastic
20"x 20" x20".  I guess it had been replaced before I bout the rig......

Robert P. Anderson

THE PLASTIC TANKS ARE 36 GAL. ALL THE CLIPPER TANKS HAVE THE VENT PROBLEM WHEN FILLING THEM UP - JUST TAKES AN EXTRA FEW MINUTES TO FILL. THE 50 GAL. TANKS ARE METAL AND L SHAPED. THEY USED THE SAME FUEL SENDING GUAGE IN BOTH TANKS, SO THE 50 GAL ONES ARE NEVER ACURATE. ALL OF THE CLIPPERS WITH GENERATORS AND LATE MODELS CAME WITH 50 GAL TANKS. MAKE SURE THE SMALL HOSE FROM THE TANK TO THE TOP OF FILL TUBE IS NOT KINKED.

John Eversoll

Hey Rob, Thanks!!!!

Is there some way of correcting the filling problem..

Like putting in a different filler neck????  Would that work???

John :)

clockwork

RPA is spot on about a kinked vent tube being the culprit in most cases. Even with a properly operating vent tube you have to be careful as the tank fills. My '78 w/genny does, however, only have a 36 gal tank and empties quickly if I venture much past the double nickle speed zone.

John Eversoll

WELL, I WOULD BE AFFRAID OF GOING OVER 55 IN THIS RIG!!
EVEN THOUGH THE NEW MOTOR HAS SOME BALLS!!!! WE went
30 over and shaved the heads  new high top pistons
new crank   Oh, the cam----- this is going to sound like I'm looking for a drag strip!!!!  I will not how ever have problems going to Oregon!~!  Other than gas"  440 and such a pretty blue"

John

Robert P. Anderson

ALL OF THE CLIPPER TANKS I HAVE SEEN HAVE THE FILL HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE TANK. THAT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES. YOU JUST NEED TO TAKE 5 MINUTES MORE TIME TO GET THEM FULL UP TO THE TOP.

mccammonds

We just came in from a 3000 plus mile trip.  We have a 36 gallon tank.  Yes, we had to stop and put in gas every 200 miles but a feller needs a driving break every 200 mile no how.    Let's face it how many of us really need an extra tank.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

Certinally not me, I likes stopping when ever I can.

" that was the wife....."

As for me I just want to get where I am going, like taking amtrack, get on and then you get off.
:)

dboling

Quote from: John Eversoll on October 25, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
As for me I just want to get where I am going, like taking amtrack, get on and then you get off.
:)

I agree 100% John, I want to get to where I'm going as fast as possible with as little distractions as possible.
Wonder if I can find 2 100 gallon tanks to replace my 2 50 gallon tanks ;)

Horst

Not sure I agree with that philosophy - for us - getting there is part of the fun. Take in the scenery, cruise at a comfortable and safe speed - maybe I'm just too old and cheap (going fast costs me WAY WAY more money.)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

I am not sure who mentioned it that the Clipper was desinged to only drive at the speed of 55..
But, She runs very well at 75 mph.  I really didn't know that I was going that fast
"Until I saw a red light in my side mirror......"

That was about six years ago, Ijust wonder what she will do when I get that new motor in.....
I hate the Grape vine!!! that down hill speed just scares the bajeebers out of me.
I think it is  an  8% grade.  the back firiing going down hill just makes me nervous.
Had a guy telling me that he burned three valves coming down the hill.
That really bothers me.  But You are right, Take the time to get there!!
I guess, I just get in a hurry to get there and let my emotions get the best of me!!
Well, since I have quit drinking I might be a better traveler.. We shall see.
Just for everybodys info on the weather here in Souther Cal. It is cool and windy!
Gusts are from 12 to 28 mph.. Can't wait till I move to Oregon!~!!!!!!!!! :) John

JerryT

I agree with Horst, we like back roads, you see more and more things to do. I like to wander with a general destination. That is how we found the applebutter fest, we were just going by. When I do get on the freeway I like to cruise with traffic. In Michigan we have two speed limits,  the one for trucks is slower. Trying to mix fast and slow on the same road does not work well. In remote areas it is ok but for the most part it causes traffic to ball up in areas of volume. It's like driving on two one lane roads side by side. An occasional slow rig is no problem but when 30 to 40 percent of traffic is slow thats gridlock. Enjoy your rig as much as you can the way you like to do it ;)
JerryT
P.S. This is for gridlock

John Eversoll

Now that is a freeway cleaner if I ever saw one!!!!!!!!!!!
The only way to get rid of those Nasty Rice rockets :)John